• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bed liners

cherokee Wheeler10

NAXJA Forum User
MY rear window leaks in my cherokee and the carpet is soaked and i have tried and cant get it dry so i was thinking about pulling the carport out and getting some roll in bedliner they have at walmart, and i think autozone. has anyone used it i think its durpex (maybe)
has anyone used it? how does it work?

The rear glass gasket goes south after a few years. I bought a new one for somewhere aroung $40 and it fixed it great. The install goes a lot easier with an extra pair of hands. If you decide to do it, post back here and I or someone can give you the instructions.

cherokee Wheeler10 said:
MY rear window leaks in my cherokee and the carpet is soaked and i have tried and cant get it dry so i was thinking about pulling the carport out and getting some roll in bedliner they have at walmart, and i think autozone. has anyone used it i think its durpex (maybe)

i think thats what i used. is the stuff your talking about around 10 bucks for a small can? if it is, it isnt real bedliner. It is a cheaper knock off, doesnt roll on very thick and ist very durable it is almost like primer before you put something like rhino or Line X on. mine isnt very durable after about a week i noticed chips in it from throwing junk in.

If you want to do it yourself, I would go with Herculiner. Ive put it on my CJ5 and its tough. Most people who have it love it for how much it costs. True, its not as good as Line X, but for $100 for a gallon, you really cant beat it in quality.

cherokee Wheeler10 said:
pulling the rear carpit isnt that big of a deal - go for it and see what the floor pan looks like. I wanted to do this but didnt have the time or the $$$ so i pulled the carpit and dried it, then stuck it back in...
the carpit deffinitely drys faster outside of the vehicle...

i havent pulled my carpet out because i am afraid of what that "crunchy" floor really looks like under it.. i'm tackling that project soon and will probably just throw the carpet back in after...

I put my XJ on it's side in a water hole and had some fishy smellin' carpets the next day. Of course the sun didn't come out for another week so It wasn't about to dry.

I had to cut out my carpets and when I did I found where the muffler had a hole in the top, burned through the floorboards and burnt the carpet. I be I was close to having my interior catch on fire. Glad I tore out the carpet.

As soon as winter breaks and we get some 70+ days for about a week I'm rolling in a full gallon of the Herculiner. Make it nice and thick.

I have Herculiner on the entire floorpan of my XJ, and Line-X in the bed of my truck. The Herculiner has held up beautifully to all the abuse it sees in my XJ, including a battery acid spill that turned a shop rag into a small pile of dust. I recommend it for the interior of your Jeep. In fact, I like it so well given its cost that I used it to coat my aluminum-framed wheelchair and the treated wood deck of my Jeep trailer. It's a great non-skid surface that really holds up if you scrupulously follow the instructions for prep and application.
All that said, I went with Line-X in the bed of my truck, for a few reasons. The truck was brand new and I wanted it to run up over the bed rails and look professionally done, with a nice clean straight edge. It looks fantastic, much better than I could ever have done with a roll-it-on-yourself product like Herculiner. It also protects really well. Of all the stuff I've had rolling and bouncing around in my truck bed in the last year and a half, only one thing has managed to make a small cut in the Line-X - and that was an engine block that came off the tire it was sitting on and landed against the tailgate. That's it - no other cuts, chips, splits, tears, wearing or anything. That stuff rocks. It's also available in many colors, whereas Herculiner is available in three, IIRC. The downside is that its expensive to have sprayed on.
So, either product is a good choice, depending on your budget, preferences and intended use. I'd stay away from Duplicolor and anything that comes in a spray can. They go on very thin and I've yet to see one that was holding up well.
Just my $.02.

One more thing - you can make it thick - just do it in two or three coats as directed by the instructions, allowing for the correct amount of drying time between coats as per the instructions. Did I mention you should carefully read and follow the instructions? :laugh3:

cherokee Wheeler10 said:

Get a new window gasket or whatever is required to fix the leak in your rear window. I suggest the Herculiner for $80 or so at Walmart, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, or wherever U can find it. I have done 3 xjs and 4 Yjs in this stuff and it works great. U can take a look at mine in my XJ if U want to look how it turns out. U know where I live, U got the 125 gallon tank from me.
:)
Troy

Back