• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Way To Remove Door Trims

Quarterwave

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I just bought a new set (4) of Pioneer 5 1/4 inch speakers to replace my factory units. Could someone please advise the best way to remove the front door trims and rear hatch trim so that I can fit up the new speakers....

Also, is there any special tools that are avail. to make the job easier.

Thx,
Quarterwave

I replaced the ones in my 90 XJ with pioneers, they are really good in the XJ you don't even know they are there until you hear them, its not that hard at all.

Front doors:
First remove the screws that hold the armrest on, then take off the door handle assembly, then remove the window crank. Use a flat blade tool (like a putty knife or something similar) to take the panel off start at the bottomof the panel it helps, its held on by those like plastic screws. Then unscrew the speaker and relace.

Rear Hatch:
Remove the two screws at the top of the panel on both ends. Then remove the panel with the flat blade tool also start at the bottom. then just unscrew the speaker and put in the new one in.

Put everything back together and your done.

For the front doors I'd advise investing in two 10"x10" pieces of dynamat xtreme (1 piece for each door). For about 20$ it'll make a really nice difference in sq.
- Then if you want A LOT more sound deadener (NOT sound proofing :nono:), you could dynamat the whole thing like I did! but thats expensive- Good luck and don't get sucked into the money pit that is car audio

Thx guys,

Yeah, I'm quite happy with the sound I currently have, I just wanted a bit of an improvment in clarity - I play music for a living, so the last thing I want to hear is some booming stereo in my car on the way home !

Just one other question - my Sport has power windows and door locks.... is there any major difference taking those type of door trims off ?

Thx again,
Quarterwave

Thats a good question. I have power windows and locks too and I had a really tought time with the power lock/window panels--especially on the driver's side. Any tips would be appreciated since i had a heck of a time with it and I want to put dynamat in but dont want to go through that headache again.

I'm looking at the FSM for the 1990 Jeeps and it shows that after you have the interior door latch release assembly/control panel retaining screws out you can pop out the Power lock switch by pushing in a couple of retainer clips on the assembly. Not sure if that helps, hope it does.

Atl XJ said:
Thats a good question. I have power windows and locks too and I had a really tought time with the power lock/window panels--especially on the driver's side. Any tips would be appreciated since i had a heck of a time with it and I want to put dynamat in but dont want to go through that headache again.
Dynamat- Whooo- good choice, you wont regret it. As for the power window and lock connectors, if all your doing is replacing the speaker, pull panel from door, disconect the two rods for the door handle and lock, rotate the panel 180 degress and either get someone to hold it while you swap your speakers ( doesnet take but 4 screws) OR what I have done rather than risking breaking the connectors, I put it in the garage, do the same thing with the panel, but I bungee strap the door handle to the garage door track on the cieling- sounds wierd but it worked for me perfectly! As for the dynamat- dont get a roller unless your doing large FLAT sections. For the door I found the best method to be using the end of a screwdriver to really work the d-mat into the various shapes. Hope that help someone-

Back