• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission / power steering cooler

jallen

NAXJA Forum User
this looks to me like it would kill two birds with one stone (CLICK ME) ... i'm thinking run the tranny fluid through the 4 pass line and the power steering through the 2 pass line.

anyone have any opinions?

Looks like a good idea but does auto tranny fluid run hotter than power steering fluid? If it does it might be a detriment to the power steering.
BTW, I just added a power steering cooler to my rig. I used a tranny cooler from a ZJ, really cheap mod.

Jes

Personally, I'd much rather have a stacked plate type cooler for the transmission side, which is acutally what I'm using.
And I'm planning on doing exactly what Jes has said with the ZJ trans cooler for the power steering.

Thats the setup I'd recommend.

A cheap choice: police Crown Victorias (maybe other CVs?) use a two-path cooler that handles both tranny and steering. Or take a look under late model Ford pickups front bumper (at least the HD trucks like 4x4 3/4 and one ton models) to see their steering cooler - should be available from wreckers.

Not a bad idea. The trans will get more cooling than it does now, and so will the power steering. It's a nice, compact idea.

Trans coolers aren't expensive anyway. Most of us don't tow, so even a small to medium sized trans cooler is more than adequate. I have a Haden medium sized cooler (from Pep Boys) for the trans, and also use a ZJ trans cooler for the power steering. The PS cooler makes a big difference......no more screeching when working the crap out of it in the rocks.

In my 87 and 88 XJ's there wasn't enough room between the back of the grill and the front of the a/c condensor to fit a 1 and 1/2" thick cooler. Had to use 3/4" thick ones. I used a tubing bender with 3/8's steel lines to get to it as the bends and clearance with all tranny hose wasn't what I'd call reliable for the long run. The grill opening height is good for the 7 and 1/2" tall units, though the radiator is taller, there's not much room for air flow up there. Put my P/S cooler behind the front bumper.

I placed mine side by side in front of the condensor, and used all rubber hoses for the connections. It's been this way for about five years.

I also have my winch in front of the grill, and have not had any cooling problems.

Back