• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission and power steering inline filters

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hello

For my 1990 XJ, I am considering both an inline power steering fluid filter and transmission ATF filter.

Is this a good idea, or foolish ie can cause trouble with failure, low flow etc...?

I am new to cars with automatics, and powersteering, so I am clueless as to the adviseability of inline filters for these systems. What seems like a good idea may not be sometimes.

I have read reviews of some inline steering filters and found reports that some have failed and blew out. If a filter is a good idea, which brand is a good one, one that it not prone to fail, leak, clog rapidly, etc...

My power steering pump and gear box will be brand new. I do have a two pass tube type cooler mounted in front of radiator for the steering.

For the tranny, I have a plate type cooler.

So what is the advice for adding inline filters to these two systems? Which brands filters are advised, if any?

Thank you

The trans filter already built into it is fine, as far as the PS goes a good filter that can handle the flow rate and fine enough(microns) won't come cheap.

The trans filter is a metal screen. I added an external filter to mine only after I grenaded the trans in it. It's just a cheap derale filter housing that I use with hydraulic filters on. They're actually the same as the 51515 wix I use on the engine but the hydraulic filters are a little different. I initially intended to use it on the power steering mostly just to add fluid capacity but ended up using it for the trans.

I highly recommend putting a filter on both ps and tranny.
I forgot where I got it from,but I have a filter on the hi-pressure side of PS pump, filter is designed to be under hi pressure (I was looking for one that had AN style fittings, that was what I found). There are others out there that go on low pressure. ditto for tranny-- they make ones that are screw in, just like your regular oil filter .

A few decades ago, when fuel filters were made out of metal, I used them for power steering filters, always on the return line.
When the filter manufacturers switched to plastic, the "improved" fuel filters couldn't take the pressure so I switched to Magnafine magnetic in-line filters and have used them for many years without failure.
They are available for both power steering and automatic transmissions.
Both of my Jeeps have used them for years.
https://magnefinefilters.com

Same experience as lazyxj, Magnefine is my go-to for PS and Trans filters.

I use the 'Raybestos Powertrain Inline Magnetic Automatic Transmission Filter 3/8' for the power steering. Never had an issue.

Where do you guys mount the Magnefine filter for the transmission?
I'm considering cutting the rubber portion of the return line from the radiator,
would this be best...?

Back