• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix VS HO TPS sensor

POSrenix

NAXJA Forum User
I have done the 99+intake swap and am using the newer TPS is there any way of keeping the newer sensor and adapting it for the RENIX as i believe the voltages are different across the 2 or a way to cheat the voltages so i dont have to run the adapter as of now it runs fine until i come off part throttle example exiting the freeway it will die.

I am not sure about voltages, but not being able to adjust the HO TPS may be an issue for you. RENIX requires that you adjust the TPS position till idle output voltage is a certain percentage of the reference voltage, while HO auto-adjusts in software.

Also if your jeep is an automatic you will be without the signal that needs to be fed to the TCU to shift right, though I'm assuming you don't have this problem since you didn't mention odd shifting.

Your engine dying when you release the throttle suddenly is likely because the ECU is not seeing the voltage return to the percentage it expects as closed-thottle/idle position, so it is not opening the IACV fast enough to prevent the engine from stalling. The voltage levels probably don't match up well across most of the throttle range, but as long as you aren't moving the throttle quickly the O2 sensor is probably giving the ECU enough to compensate for that, if you attach an MT2500 or NickInTime REM you will probably see some wacky STFT or LTFT numbers as a result.

I am not sure about voltages, but not being able to adjust the HO TPS may be an issue for you. RENIX requires that you adjust the TPS position till idle output voltage is a certain percentage of the reference voltage, while HO auto-adjusts in software.

Also if your jeep is an automatic you will be without the signal that needs to be fed to the TCU to shift right, though I'm assuming you don't have this problem since you didn't mention odd shifting.

I believe both the Renix and HO sensors supply 0-5 volts (closed->open throttle) output signals to the engine computer. The trans computer for the Renix however wanted the opposite, 5->0 volts, which is why the Renix had the dual output sensor. With the switch to HO, the trans computers changed to accept the same 0->5 volts as the engine computer (and in fact were connected in parallel to the TPS sensor output).

So if the trans computer is an issue, you might possibly swap to an HO trans computer. You might have to switch the NSS along with it, I dont recall when the extra set of contacts was added to the NSS.

Extra set of contacts was added for 97 up and new ISS and oss for 98. I'm not sure the 91-96 TCU will plug in... Pretty sure it's the same mp100 connector but keyed differently?

Extra set of contacts was added for 97 up and new ISS and oss for 98. I'm not sure the 91-96 TCU will plug in... Pretty sure it's the same mp100 connector but keyed differently?

Yes, keyed a little different which can be solved with an exacto knife of dremel. The OBD lines on the HO tcu which would just end up at the yellow diagnostic connector under the hood, so a non-issue. The power/comfort switch would get ignored.

i have a manual trans AX 15 from a 94xj so the shifting is not an issue i thought i remember reading somewhere that you could put something in btween that you could use to adjust also read somewhere that the person doing same thing im doing had same issue with the dieing but adjust the idle up slightly and the issue went away?thank you for the input more than likley i will fab an adapter but am interested in what other options are out there

Back