• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remove splash guard under engine?

kst8engineer

NAXJA Forum User
Guys, this has probably been asked and answered before, but I couldn't find anything by searching. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology.

The rubber "splash guard" (my terminology) under then engine compartment on my '99 XJ is torn up and starting to fall down. I'm thinking about just getting rid of it -- is there any reason not to?

Thanks,
Galen

Keeps water out of the alternator. Make your own splash guard out of a rubber (cut up a 18 wheeler mud flap) or metal (I used sheet aluminum).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122600

Mine homemade one covers about 75% of what the stock one does. Weird thing was that I found a giant pine cone lodged between my headers. Not sure if this got in with my stock splash guard or homemade one.

prb24 said:
FWIW...ripped mine off 3 years ago, no problems...
Ive had mine off for about a year. Ive fried 2 alternators, but both times it was in deep water and mud. I have since learned that mud causes more problems then it is fun. But if you cant avoid it mud and water, keep it on.

I have not had one for 15 years. It WILL NOT keep mud or water out of your alternator...or anythng else. It WILL keep you from cleaning under there.

Dump it.

Rev

Starboard M said:
Ive had mine off for about a year. Ive fried 2 alternators, but both times it was in deep water and mud. I have since learned that mud causes more problems then it is fun. But if you cant avoid it mud and water, keep it on.
More likley that it was caused by not flushing the grit, and silt out of it.

havent had one in about a year and a half and have been in plenty of deep holes, mud you sick bastards not my mom, and everything has been fine so far

sappersly said:
The Kansas mud destroyed my alternator
You weren't from my side of Kansas were you? We hardly ever have mud here (we do have water "once in a great while" :gag: ) I've heard rumors that the east side gets some of that stuff.

Now to the point. I've not had that on mine for three years. Almost 70k on the alt. I don't think it makes that much difference.

That rubber flap will be no help for something like this. (the "once in a great while", captured on film.)
water1.JPG

Daryl

bajacalal said:
Call me a blithering idiot but I have never seen xjs with with a splash guards. Then again not wet here. Its not the air dam you are talking about?
Well... you haven't looked hard enough then :D Both my 98 which I got new and my 97 which I got used had them. My 97 has now the one from the 98 (as that one was in better condition and 98 is gone).

Mine tore halfway off about 2 weeks after I bought my XJ, and I then tore it the rest of the way off.

I haven't ever had a problem, and I go through plenty of mud/water.

I've had mine since new and need a new one, some of the holes have torn thru, the only thing keeping it up is the front skid plate. It's on my list of things to order from the dealer. When I get a new one I'll probably make a template so I can make any new ones out of some other material. I like the aluminum idea.

Rev Den said:
I have not had one for 15 years. It WILL NOT keep mud or water out of your alternator...or anythng else. It WILL keep you from cleaning under there.

Dump it.

Rev

i'm with Rev here, i went muddin and came back to find my alt. is fried, so to get at my alt. i just ripped it off, no problems since (but havent been muddin since either)

Rev Den said:

Dump it.

Rev

straight up, has nothing to do with keeping water out, it rains here in Portland OR 9 months outta the year, I ditched mine 2 years ago, because snow was getting stuck on top of it, really didn't feel like finding out how long the alt would last with snow wedged up around it... we also get HUGE pools of standing water, like today, because leafs clog the drains around here. haven't had any problems..

Anyone have a pic of the stock setup? I have the factory fenderwell liners, but I don't think I've ever seen the engine splash guard. Or maybe I haven't been under there as much as my wife claims I have.

i lost an alternator voltage regulator, but im not sure if it was splash guard related, but one thing i did loose was an ignition module, at $100+ you get pretty tired of frying these even with an assload of silcone if your hittin water over 20 mph after a while somethings gonna happen. but whatever works for you man. im jsut saying that in my experiences not having one has really cost me alot of money. i run a sheetmetal one now and i havent had any problems since.

but like what is shown above, if your scuba diving your xj, nothings helpin you there.

RichP said:
I've had mine since new and need a new one, some of the holes have torn thru, the only thing keeping it up is the front skid plate. It's on my list of things to order from the dealer. When I get a new one I'll probably make a template so I can make any new ones out of some other material. I like the aluminum idea.

Mine tore through also and was just hanging down. It looked really bad. I re-attached using nylon tie straps. I punched new holes using an awl and fed the tie straps through the holes I made. The fix took about 10 minutes. Save your money on the new splash guard and spend the pennies on the nylon tie straps.

I've heard arguement for and against, so who knows which is truly better? What does Chry-co claim it's for?

MIne was hanging down on the one side quite a bit, as the cross member is a bit bent in. Since putting in the factory front skid, it holds in place now. I've always been told it helps to keep dirt out of the engine compartment to an extent. :dunno:

Back