• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulls to the right

bretto

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
Short and to the point. I am trying to resolve a pulling to the right issue on my stock '96. I had an alignment done, toe was out a bit and they dialed that in but it made no change to the pull. Rotated tires around as you would normally try, brakes aren't dragging and the steering box isn't inducing any pull when I have the front in the air with the engine running.
I did get curious and took a measurement hub to hub, front to back on each side of the Jeep. I found that the passenger side distance is about 1/2" shorter or 1/2" longer on the driver, however you want to look at it. That would lead me to believe that the rear axle may be pointed or skewed to be driving the rear-end to the driver's side causing my pulling issue. My question is, is that enough to cause a pull? It's significant enough of a pull that I have to keep a constant 11'oclock steering wheel position to keep it going straight down the highway.
Any suggestions on solutions to try? I know in stock form there are no adjustments to the rear so I have toyed with the idea in my head of playing around with the spring perches to get that equaled out.
Thanks!
Brett

If you had a alignment done why did they address this?

Because there are no adjustments possible. And maybe because it was Big-O. IDK. Kinda irks me. I could have dialed in the toe myself.

:doh:
"Be sure to read the final paragraph."

I can see how that would allow one side of the front axle to be shifted.

So take 5 mm off the one side and add it to the other, the bushings won't care either way.

Retail tire stores that perform alignments are helpless and clueless when it comes to problem solving or modified 4x4's.

I always go to a locally owned independent frame and alignment shop where the technicians have been out of Tech School for longer than a few months. Often they are the same guys I see on the 4x4 trails.

Last edited:
I still had a pull to the right after alignment on old tires. I ran 10 more psi in one and it cured it. Put on new tires with even pressure and it tracks straight.

I have only paid for 2 alignments in my life... But I have never seen an alignment measurement for track bar adjustment or front axle squaring...
Am I wrong?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The good shops look at all 4 wheels!
jeep%20align_zpsyvtrqk8t.jpg

These are my results:
b2558dfd_c719_4493_ad27_3f27bb180b1c_1_105_c_735f878b94c2923b9cd5e6e9ddd20496e56fc9fa.jpeg

update:
I put in 4 new stock control arm, no change. I then added 3/8" worth of shims to the lower arm on the pass side along with moving the upper arms hole forward the same 3/8". Made absolutely 0 change to the pull. I would have thought I would have noticed at least a little less pull in doing that. Im at a loss.

Your alignment numbers are about as perfect as anyone could hope for, and the 0 deg thrust angle value is somewhat at odds with your measurement of the passenger-side wheelbase being 1/2" shorter than the driver-side. You may want to measure from points other than the wheel hubs because if the front wheels are turned even a bit off-center, your wheelbase measurement will be off. When I measured mine, I measured using points on the axles. And if you are trying to determine whether the rear is out of alignment, you'll want to measure the rear axle relative to points of reference on the body. Also, you may want to have someone drive behind you to see if the vehicle is dog-legging.

As far as the alignment goes, you may want to consider adding a bit of front toe-in. That helps reduce wander.

I know you said that its not a tire or brake drag issue, so you may want to consider whether this happens for a specific vehicle loading.

Back