• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 Dashboard Lighting Questions

WilliamT1974

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,

The Jeep is a 1996 Cherokee Country. Several of the dashboard lights, including the climate control panel and rocker switches, were burnt out. I found some 74 bulbs for the climate control and 37 bulbs for the rocker switches.

The 74 bulb works, but the climate control panel seems dim. I don't like to turn the dash lights up too high, but it seems kind of dim even with them turned up high. This bulb wasn't the easiest to deal with because it was hard to get it to stay in place in the panel once the working bulb had been swapped in. I'm pretty sure it stayed once I got everything back together, though. Is that panel just kind of dim? It's better than no lights at all. No more need to find the switches in the dark, though a little more brightness would be nice.

While doing all of this, the light in the ring around the ignition switch stopped working. I had a look and discovered it's a 37 bulb. So, I swapped a new one in, but am not sure it's making a difference. This is the first time I've taken this Jeep's dashboard apart. That trim around the steering column makes it harder than it needs to be. Is there an area where the wires running up to the key switch illumination could have been disconnected while I was putting everything back together?

Just as an aside, when putting the woodgrain-look dash bezel back on, I was able to get all of the snap-in connections properly snapped. PO left it with big gaps around the radio and climate controls. That's no longer the case. It's almost as good as getting a new car!

Thank you,
-William

Back