• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steam explosion - fun times.

EvilYellowjacket

NAXJA Forum User
Three weeks ago, I popped the coolant tank on my 89 XJ 4.0. It's been too cold outside to get anything done, so I put a blanket over the engine and a trouble light on under (whats left of) the hood. After getting the water pump off, I discovered ice in the block and a tasty-looking green snowcone slushie as well. The water pump impeller had sheared loose of the pulley shaft, the thermostat is locked in place, and I blew the heater control valve in half. The engine actually still runs, no sputters, ticks, creaks, or white smoke. I run it for about 1 minute every day to make sure it still works, and it is flawless in operation. There is no apparent separation at the head gasket, and no cracks in the block or head, no warping in the head. I discovered the radiator was well on it's way to going bad, and the hoses are screwed.

Would any of you recommend for or against thawing the block out, throwing on a new water pump, thermostat, radiator, hoses, heater valve, and coolant tank, and seeing what happens to it? Could the block and head be damaged at all?

If they're damaged, they're already damaged... might as well see if you can get it running. I'd suggest sticking a block heater in it and heating it up to melt any remaining ice inside it, then doing a good strong coolant flush and putting a more concentrated coolant mix in it afterwards. If it ends up being a goner, you can always pick up another motor for fairly cheap, I've seen a few go for less than 300 on the classifieds here.

I'm thinking along those same lines. Currently, it has a Renix 4.0 and an AW4. If it turns out the engine is toast, I'm planning on swapping in a H.O. 4.0 and an AX15 manual.

With your busted up mess a block heater may not get the job done.

I would recommend getting a cheapo oil-filled electric heater. Place it under the engine, then use card board and tarps to isolate the engine compartment from the outside and rear area of the vehicle. That will allow the oil-filled heater to warm the block, the coolant-slushie will melt, and then you can repair the system.

I would also recommend that you add the block heater while doing the other repairs--sounds like you need it back there.

X2 Joe's blocking off around engine compartment and front end and put a heater under engine. let it run a few hours. If you have a old blanket or sleeping bag to put over hood would help too.

Just a thought to consider-(???)

-get radiator etc. to do the open cooling system conversion. Then IF... changed to H.O. most of the parts swap right over. if not its ready and most parts "New".

Opinions??????

Good Luck,
Orange

I'd think the freeze plugs may be you only problem you might have since that's kinda what they are named for. They may end up needing replacement but I'd put it back and run it to see if anything leaks.

Hard to tell about the damage. Vehicle not worth a whole lot the way it sits anyways so may as well roll the dice.

See if you can borrow or rent a warm garage for a couple of days while you thaw it out and do the necessary repairs if you are so inclined.

Hard to tell about the damage. Vehicle not worth a whole lot the way it sits anyways so may as well roll the dice.

See if you can borrow or rent a warm garage for a couple of days while you thaw it out and do the necessary repairs if you are so inclined.

They take alot longer than a couple of days to melt, depends on how warm the garage is. Did a ford falcon with a 6 in it, the neighbor was nice enough to let me park it in his shop and he pointed the kero jet heater at the grill from about 20 feet away, took about 3 days and 3 freeze plugs. That was a tough motor.

While I was in the USAF we had a missile hauling tractor trailer freeze up. With the block heater, battery blanket heater and a 1,000,000 BTU turbine heater and heated garage it took 2 days to get her thawed out thanks to some moron signing off that it was all plugged in and filled with the winter diesel. I finally had it start up and nothing was leaking luckily. I did have to change the fuel filters though.

I'd change the stuff out when you can and use the cheapest antifreeze to see if you have any leaks after you get her back together. It sounds like it was froze when you ran it, and sheared the pump impeller off causing the overheat condition. I've seen it happen when you do not have your coolant set for -38 to -40 degrees F.

Good Luck and stay warm.

Back