• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remove splash guard under engine?

as for whether or not they exist I remember my 90 laredo had half of one on it. My 99 Sport's has been slowly tearing away since I bought it new. The steering linkage has cut some good holes in it and I'm just waiting for it to rip completely off. I hadn't considered it's protection of the alternator and I may look into that. Is it possible to waterproof the alternator so that it's not a factor?

Your right this has been discussed before. One thing that was not discussed in this tread was the water hitting the fan and throwing all over the engine compartment. I guess most don't care.

Very very old thread, but re-adding mine after hitting a 6in puddle in winter sprayed freezing cold water into the engine bay and cracked the hot heater core a couple years back. We had to breathe coolant until we could hit a hardware store and bypass the heater core. I also wonder if it doesn't help aerodynamics a bit keeping the airflow laminar past the engine bay. :shrug:

I haven't run one in 20yrs and haven't lost a alternator or any thing else splashing thru the lakes/streams at 14000 ft!

Yeah, in my case it was the extreme temperature difference of ~32degree water and a very hot heater core. Maybe a one in a thousand shot but it happened. FWIW, I bought mine here:

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologi...r-alternator-radiator-splash-shield-10-clips/

Next project is to find a more removable set of clips for it. I lost the original due to failing non-reusable push pins, and will probably replace it with removable push rivets from Mcmaster.

Definitely not advocating people install this if they don't want it, but I want to try it out again for a couple years and see if I can spot the difference.

Very very old thread, but re-adding mine after hitting a 6in puddle in winter sprayed freezing cold water into the engine bay and cracked the hot heater core a couple years back. We had to breathe coolant until we could hit a hardware store and bypass the heater core. I also wonder if it doesn't help aerodynamics a bit keeping the airflow laminar past the engine bay. :shrug:

Water can't even get to the heater core?

It's the passenger side tire that kicks up water and mud onto
the alternator. I fabbed a small metal shield and fit it underneath
the alternator for protection. The original rubber design was poorly
engineered in my opinion...

I don't have any splash guards, threw away the front skid plate and drive around 140 miles a day in rain, sleet, snow and gloom of night. 75 miles of it on rock and dirt roads, never has caused a problem, but the alternator is mounted higher on Rhd's, so that may be a factor.

Water can't even get to the heater core?

And yet it absolutely did in this case. No problems until we drove through that puddle, then immediately noticed coolant coming into the cabin and condensing on the windows. Took us a while to figure out what it was but it was right after the puddle crossing.I agree the splash guard may not have saved us but it was distinctly the minor "fording" that cracked the core.

It's the passenger side tire that kicks up water and mud onto
the alternator. I fabbed a small metal shield and fit it underneath
the alternator for protection. The original rubber design was poorly
engineered in my opinion...

My assumption is that if they could have gotten away with a smaller guard they would have done so for cost reasons, so either the full sized rubber thing was cheaper or it serves more of a purpose than just covering the alternator. Would love to buy a beer for the engineer that worked on it to ask questions like these.

Back