• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fox 2.0 performance IFP stabilizer leads to extra stiff steering?

lordoeuf

NAXJA Forum User
About a week ago I ditched my old Monroe $20 steering stabilizer for a Fox Racing 2.0 Performance Series Smooth Body IFP Stabilizer, part no. 985-24-072. I immediately noticed the steering was a bit stiffer, but not necessarily in a good way. Is this normal? Are these things pressurised expecting 40" tyres with sloppy steering and RAM assist? I am using the stock drag-link on my Jeep with only 33" tyres. Lee Power Steering pump with Durango saginaw gear box.

I noticed there is a valve stem on it, similar to that on a bicycle tyre. Should I try to let some gas out? I noticed that when I went to put on the Fox stabiliser that it was abnormally difficult to compress, much more so than the Bilstein 5100 shocks I put on that same day. Is it supposed to be this tough to compress, and if so, why?

Is there another stabiliser I should use which lasts a long time and is soft and subtle? I don't have any play in my steering and use that "the cure" product.

Anyone have a Bilstein part number that will fit an XJ with stock drag link? I saw a comment on another forum about part 24-174534, but looking at the collapsed length, I feel it doesn't collapse enough. Needs 1/2" more. The FOX IFS completely collapses to reach full right turn, and its CL is 12.350". That Bilstein CL is 13.11". Monroe, by way of comparison, has CL of 12.00".

Get the Old Man Emu stabilizer.

Even the Bilstein's are pretty stiff. They don't make one for an XJ IIRC, I was running a custom setup with one from a Ram since it fit where I needed it to go. Replaced it with an OME and the steering is much easier and I've had no issues.

What's the point of adding a stabilizer to stock steering.
What are you trying to fix.

Yes you problem can let a quit bird of pressure out of the shock. Might actually be able to tune steering feel.
But then that will require buying a nitrogen tank and investing 100-150 into charging tools.

But I feel would be better invested in actual steering upgrades and time in researching how to set up steering

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have an OME on my '98, with cross over steering. Previously, I have IRO Tenneco. The Tenneco was a bit stiff at first. Then was OK. I replaced with the OME, as to DW issues. In my case, the steering stabilizer didn't help. I also, used an OME for the WJ, as I am running 32's in a Metric size. Another to look at if Kevin's Offroad.
My, 2000 has cross over steering. I am not running a steering stabilizer. It does OK. I did not run a steering stabilizer on the '98 initially. It ran good. I only added it to the setup for DW. That ended up being a cracked frame. Also, the Tenneco was still good as far as I could tell after DW.

Last edited:
I think steering stabilizers have they're place. But on a well set up capable steering track bar set up. A stabilizer will not make up for steering inadequacies

I think steering stabilizers have they're place. But on a well set up capable steering track bar set up. A stabilizer will not make up for steering inadequacies

I'd agree with that. I do get some 'jounce' with my setup. I don't think as bad as the stock Y-link though. I also have OTK track bar on both of mine. I think that might make some difference, possibly even with a Y-link set up.

My mind translates jounce to mean bump steer. Also means steering is not set up correctly. This may also mean bolt on parts don't have the geometry correct.

I removed the FOX 2.0 stabiliser and drove the Jeep for a day without any damper. The stiffness in the steering disappeared immediately. It ran pretty darn good - perhaps a smidge more jerky when going thru a deep pothole, but not bad at all. However, as I already had another $30 Monroe stabiliser on order, it eventually arrived and I installed it. Jeep rides fine with the Monroe. From a qualitative perspective, the FOX felt like it took me about 5-10 times more force to compress by hand compared to the Monroe. I guess I'll put the FOX on a shelf in the garage and eventually take it to the landfill when I get sick of looking at it.

I have the same Fox stabilizer and it sounds like maybe it was just overfilled during assembly. Mine feels about the same as any other aftermarket one that I've had in the past (OME, Bilstein). I think they're only supposed to have about 15-20 PSI of nitrogen in there, but you need something with the proper fittings to be able to check. I'd take it to somewhere like a motorcycle shop which should have the proper tools as well as some nitrogen to refill it in case you ever need to do so.

I just compressed mine compared to a fox ifp shock it does seem kinda stiff. It isnt rebounding wich is correct for a steering stabalizer.
If steering angles are pretty steep the force applied from the steering box isnt pushed directly through tge drag link its wasted in heat due to steering geometry not being great.
The steering stabilizer could be eating on what is actually being used to steer.

This is pretty much bs rambling knowing no actual numbers but do know the seat of the pants steering dyno says steer effort is reduced with flatter steering angles.

Im not huge on steering stabilizer but have eyed putting this on a few times. Now that i have a steering set up im going to stick with for awhile i might. And i have noticed some steering wag at high speeds in the ruff.

What is your steering set up. Pics would be nice.
6b3f525d2ed1bda6f0bc6938b9378d6b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I did a quick search on fox 2.0 steering shock pressure settings what i found is that nothing so far ive read can be trusted.
15-200psi is whats talked about on forumns.

Definitely this topic is worth a phone call to accutune, downsouth motor sports, filthy or evrn fox king radflo direct. The internet likly will only have you gathering miss information.
Some of this miss information comes from normal shocks being charged at 150-200psi. Along with many responding without hands on experiences or having invested the time to learn the actual parameters the shock should be run in.

I charged my coilovers without the proper tools and let me tell you. You have to have tge tools. You cant check pressure with a gauge it has to be regulated at the correct pressure.

Like this stabalizer i could pitently blip a tire gauge on it and see 15-50psi but the quick blip dumps that much pressure then its all over.
12297aa69fe93b6a4b0267fc2e140710.jpg

Evan03, thanks for your reply. I have 5.5" lift and 33" tyres with the stock steering (no high steer). Front suspension mods as follows:

1. Rubicon Express 4.5" front coil springs
2. JKS adjustable coil over spacers (ACOS) set at ~1" lift
3. JKS swaybar quick disconnects, cut and welded to shorten length
4. Ironmanfab 4x4 Swaybar drop brackets
5. Rubicon Express HD trackbar bracket RE1665
6. Rubicon Express HD trackbar RE1660 with RE3768 joint end for 1" longer adjustment
7. Crown HDSTRGCR1 tie rod and drag link ends (except PS). Using dealer's adjustment sleeve for tie rod and drag link. This is basically the ZJ tie rod setup.
8. Tomken lower long control arms TMT-2042-X
9. Tomken crossmember to mount long arms TMT-2025-X
10. Custom "frame rail" reinforcement plates for crossmember (3/32 in. steel)
11. Tomken upper control arm drop brackets and braces
12. Rubicon Express upper control arms RE3780
13. Bilstein B8 5100 front/rear for 5-6" lift. Front: 24-185943 (collapsed 17", extended 28.44") Rear: 33-151663 (collapsed 15.9", extended 25.93").
14. Monroe SC2928 steering stablizer.
15. C-ROK steering box reinforcement plate
16. Rusty's Offroad 1.25" drop pitman arm
Steering box from a '98 Durango. Replaced all seals and slides.
17. Lee high flow power steering pump w/reservoir
18. Specialty Products Company 23530 1.50° Upper Ball Joint to correct camber
19. Standard OE lower ball joints, Moog K3161T
20. JKS weld-on 2" extension bracket for swaybar, OGS915
21. Ruff Stuff The Cure added to drag-link/tie-rod Y-link
22. Ironman4x4fab steering box brace version 2.

Sorry, I don't have a paid account so I cannot upload photos. I don't use image hosting services.

So yes, the push and pull of the linkage is at a bit of an angle, thus requiring more force for the gear box and pump, but this hasn't presented a problem for me. The Jeep rides very well, that is, until I tested out the high dollar FOX stabiliser. Couldn't I just tap on the release valve on the FOX stabiliser to release some gas - take it for a test drive - if too stiff, tap the valve again - test drive, etc? Yeah, there's a risk of depleting all the gas, but I have a new Monroe stabiliser here already that works as it should.

Yes you can tap it and test drive. Doesnt really matter what pressure is in it as long as it feels good to you.
It would still work decent with little to no pressure in it.

Yes photo's on this are a pain the ass

Back