• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Bearing Replacement

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
So, I'm pretty sure my A/C clutch bearing is junk. When running, it is very loud (kind of like a whirring/grinding noise) and when I turn the A/C on, the noise stops. From what I've read on here, that points to the clutch bearing. Sound right?

Any details on how to replace this, is it easy, cheap, etc?

good link. I'll have to see where I can find the special tools. Anybody have any direct experience with doing this and any pitfalls to watch out for and/or whether you really do need the special tools?

Wow, reading that made me dizzy.

Methinks that other than special tools you'd also need substantial HVAC experience. Sounds like it'd be a helluva lot easier (not to mention safer and cheaper) in the long run to just replace the compressor. I know it's expensive but then I DO have the money and I don't want to be frostbit or blinded.

P.S. I LOVE pizza!!

yeah frostbite and blindness would be a little bit of a crimp in my style!
I agree it's probably easier to just swap in a new compressor, but the cost issue is a big thing, unless I can find one cheap. Also, if I do that I'll have to have the system vaccuum pumped, which I don't know how much that is.

It looks like if I just replace the bearing, even if it is a PITA, I shouldn't have to open up the A/C system at all, and thus not expose myself to frostbite or blindness potential!

Any thoughts?

From another thread(forget who posted it, sorry):

The Bearing for the Clutch is NOT a press in interference fit. It is a tight fit, that you have to tap out gingerly with a hammer. There must be different clutches on the Compressor, mine had a snap ring holding in the bearing, while Ed Rico's had tabs stamped down on the outer race to hold it in (thats how its done on my mini-van clutch). Might explain why the 5001-KFF bearing that is listed fits some, while others, like myself found the 5001-KFF doesn't fit and you need the smaller 35BD219DUK.

Like mentioned, the simplified procedure:

Before beginning, measure the Air Gap between plates, its set by shims, since your already taking it apart, you can adjust it for wear to the proper air gap by removing shims.

You need snap ring pliers, for inside & outside snap rings, you can usually find them for ~$10. Its worth the money, needle nose pliers in that tight spot will take several hours to get the snap rings out.

1.)Remove the Belt
2.)Remove the Bolt on the Front Plate of the Clutch (the clutch turns with the wrench, this is where an air impact wrench or socket is really handy)
3.)Pull/Pry the Front Plate off the clutch (this clutch has bolt hole for a small puller, other clutches I've just pried off with 2 flat head screw drivers on opposite sides, this clutch is very tight and I had to use excessive force to pry it off, I haven't put it back together yet [still waiting for the bearing to come in the mail] but its possible I've warped or damaged the front plate, so consider trying to find/use a puller if able)
3b.)Remove/Collect the shims between the compressor shaft and the front of the front plate of the clutch. (some will be inside the collar of the front plate some will be stuck on the front shaft of the compressor, some may have even fallen out and be on the ground)
4.)Remove the snap ring from the compressor snout that holds the clutch pulley on.
5.)Remove the pulley from the compressor snout. (other clutch I could just pull it off, again this one was tight, I had to gentle tap it off with a hammer at the back of the pulley, turn the pulley between strikes and be careful not to strike the electromagnet coil inside and at the back of the pulley).
6.)Remove the snap ring on the back of the pulley. (According to Ed his had stamped down tabs holding the bearing in, that had to be ground off)
7.)Remove the bearing, by tapping it out with a hammer using a drift. (since the bearing is bad, you don't have to worry about damaging)
8.)Install new bearing, by tapping it in with a hammer using a socket or drift. (only strike the outside race, if you strike the inside race the bearings will take all the shock and load and you can damage them. Either use a large socket that fits the outer race or get it started with a block of wood, then switch to drift moving it around to different parts of the outer race.)
9.)Install is the reverse of the removal.
10.)If your going to adjust the air gap, figure out how much has to be removed to get to the spec air gap, (I couldn't find a figure in the Haynes manual, but other clutches are about 0.020"-0.040") find a shim or several shims that match up to the feeler gauge for the distance that has be removed and then remove those shims from the stack. In my case, I just had 2 shims, and need to go down 0.020" to be at min air gap, as well the clutch was engaging fine before, so I'm just going to remove one shim, probably drop me 0.010", it will be in the center of the spec.

thanks a lot for that info! It helps a lot.

And I checked with Autozone, they have all the specialty tools that they'll loan to you, so that should help. I appreciate everyone's input.

I imagine just replacing the bearing will save me a lot of money because I won't have to open up the refrigerant system as I would have to with replacing the compressor.

i am going though this right now. but am replacing the entire clutch, bearing, magnet assembly (not the compressor, dont want to have to deal with recharging the system).

my bearing/clutch was so far gone that it only took 2 fingers to remove the front clutch plate, and thats after spending over 100$ on a special AC clutch puller that never got removed from its case. now i cant get the bearing off, and will be borrowing a puller for that tomorrow.

interesting to hear that you had a hard time getting the clutch off since mine just fell off.

except for the bearing, this has been much easier than expected so far. will post again when engine is back running.

ill take some pictures and post tomorrow or the next day.

symptoms were
ac not working since july
loud squealing noises
bad whirring noises
noises seemed to be from the ac clutch and went away when hosed down with WD40
but that caused it to start smoking and burning when i drove it as the WD started burning off.

when i got the front off i could see the bearing. the plastic dust/lube guards were gone, and a mangled metal ring was kind of in front of the ball bearings in the bearing. seems like about half the balls were missing, and remaining ones were covered in rust.

the clutch face and pulley face were all gouged up and covered in rusted chewed up metal dust/flake/debris. said debris was also caked in the air vents in the pulley.

alright, well I'm glad to hear that your symptoms are exactly the same as mine, the loud squealing and whirring. That helps to confirm my diagnosis. Thanks! I'll look forward to the pictures.

does anyone know if the clutch assembly in interchangeable on XJ's? I know the compressors are different. I have a 98 and it has the refrigerant lines mounted on the top of the compressor. I couldn't find a replacement at the junkyard, but found a couple of complete compressors from earlier models (90-95). I was just wondering if I can take the clutch assembly off of one of those and use it, just in case my clutch is bad also, not just the bearing.

Your original post describes the symptoms on my 98. My A/C guy looked at it and said not only is the bearing creating noise but the clutch is slightly slipping, cooking the bearing. Rather than swap the clutch and bearing I ordered a brand new Sanden from these guys: http://www.acparts.com/New-Sanden-AC-Compressor-4691-p-278366.html

They are recommended by Sanden and that price is the best I've seen. It's not much worse than the cost of just the clutch and it's all brand new Sanden parts. Just another option...

That's actually the cheapest price I've seen for a new compressor, good info. to have. I'd just as soon take out the compressor compleletly than spend that much though. It's just a trail rig for me.
I did find a used compressor out of a 99 XJ on Ebay that I might be able to get for around $45 shipped, so I might just go ahead with that.
If I do replace the compressor, I've heard I have to have the system vacuum pumped? Is this correct and any idea on how much it costs?

yes that is correct, and exactly what i am trying to avoid. if you replace the compressor you have to open the refrigerant loop and the system will need to be recharged, which does involve drawing the newly closed loop down with a vacuum (and ive head replacing the accumulator as well, not sure why though) and then refilling with Refrigerant. there a prob more steps to this as well, but that is how much i know.

hmmm...yeah I need to think about that. I'm just worried that if my clutch assembly itself is bad in addition to the bearing, then I'm screwed. If I get the compressor, maybe I can just take the entire clutch assembly off of it and just replace mine. That way I can avoid opening up the refrigerant system.

yea, that would be a good idea. i got my clutch assembly from the dealer because that was the only place i could find it by itself. got it for like 160-180 or something, and from what i saw, entire compressor assembly was in the 260 range. but if you get the one from the link above at under 220 and then take the clutch off and sell the bare compressor on ebay or here, you might do well for yourself.

Back