• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mystery wj coolant leak

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Well same damn setup on an xj but due to it not being one I posted this here
Maybe you guys can give me an idea for a problem my girlfriends 2000 wj with the 4.0 is having.
Well after driving the vechicle it has coolant leaking around bottom of motor but not from any cooling components. I have noticed it leaving 210 and rising while idle during summer but thought it was something small like clog on radiator or thermostat. Then we lost heat a couple times and it started leaking. I replaced thermostat which wasnt opening till 220 which explains raised temperature. Should I look towards heating core as a possible culprit on this?

I found a few pinhole leaks over the summer that caused similar issues. You need to check around under the hood immediately after shutting off the engine when it's real hot. You might have to listen(hiss) for the leak rather than look. The first one I found was mostly vapor, and what liquid there was evaporated as soon as it hit the block, no drips. I wasn't able to find exactly where the leak was until the motor was up to(over) temp.
A little JB Weld goes a long way. I ended up using a bottle of Bar's for the last two that I couldn't reach. Hoping it'll do the trick till I can get a new rad($). So far, so good.

Back