• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 not liking 4 high part time

skog

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96' sport with a aw4/242 @ ~115K. IT does not like to stay in 4 high part time when wheeling. has no prob shifting into full time or four low. just changed the fluid hoping that it would halp but didn't. when i shift into full time the partime light flashes till i take my foot off the gas and then full time engages. if i try to put it in part time it will engage the go into 2wd then back. sometimes i think i am going to have a seizure from the part time light flickering so fast. :wow: it is not a prob with the wiring of the light because i can feel it engage and disengage in the steering wheel. is there supposed to be a "indent" for the t-case lever to fall into? i can feel a little one but it aint much.

thanks
skog

Yes, there should be an indent of the same intensity as the other positions. I would wonder if there is a bent fork in your case or warn shift pads. I haven't had a problem with 4 high in mine so I don't have first hand knowledge of it. I have had the same sort of problem in 4-low, but it was a linkage adjustment problem.

It would take a tear down of the case but you should also check the teeth on the mainshaft sleeve towards the front of the case. If they were damaged they would likely keep the case form completely meshing in 4wd (but I would expect a problem in 4-low as well)

Bones :skull1:
NAXJA #6

4 low is nice and firm. it never has popped out or and prob engaging. the indent is very small and not enough to really hold it in when it come to trail riding. i still have this prob in a flat field though.

thanks
skog

Back