• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX5 Rebuild Time?

acanfield

NAXJA Forum User
My 85 XJ 4WD transmission is finally toast, although everything else stock (including 2.8L V-6) is still running strong. Can anyone give me a rough estimate for time and effort to rebuild an AX-5 transmission?

I ordered the AX 4/5 Transmission Repair Manual and hope that will give me a rough idea. It sounds and feels like at least 2nd and 3rd will need repair, so I could be looking at significant costs.

A rebuilt or used transmission might be in order. Can I assume the an AX-5 from a later-model-year YJ or XJ will match my 2.8L V-6?

Up to '96 will interchange w/o much trouble. Shifter tower changed after that. If it's the input shaft that went bad, you can almost guarantee the countershaft is toasted too. If you can find a Dodge Dakota with 4 cyl 5 speed, you can use that bellhousing/clutch stuff for an AX-15 upgrade.
I'm about to send several 2wd AX-5s for scrap metal as they are too common around here and no-one wanted to buy them for $40 apiece.

Carnuck, thanks for the reply. All the gears still drive but there is an intermittent screech in 1st through 3rd and sometimes reverse. The parts that came out look like a synchro or snap ring. Perhaps the input shaft is still okay, but hard to say without looking.

The Mantrans.com main plant is just 90 miles away in Tallahassee FL so I might pull the tranny and swap them for a rebuilt.

A salvage yard here actually quoted $650 for a used transmission from a 4 cylinder YJ--the same price of a rebuilt from ManTrans, which comes with a warranty. Not a hard choice there...

Back