• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear disc brake conversion

myxj98

NAXJA Forum User
i am thinking of convertin my rear brakes to disc brakes anyone have any suggestions or helpful tips on how or weather or not to do this thanks

had you tried searching the archives? this is covered on a rather regular basis, and there are multiple write-ups for different axle set-ups.

Yup, you can just about bolt in a ZJ's rear discs to a D35 or 8.25 and only have to enlarge the backplate hole for the axles to fit thru. All jeep parts too. I've linked to several step by step sites in previous postings w/pictures...

is the parts list and procedure the same for a 29 spline axle?

Definitely worth getting a copy of the new book: High-Performance Jeep Cherokee Builder's Guide 1984-2001.

Among much other great modding info, all with full-color photos, the rear-disc conversion is shown in good deatil.

Expedient said:
Definitely worth getting a copy of the new book: High-Performance Jeep Cherokee Builder's Guide 1984-2001.

Among much other great modding info, all with full-color photos, the rear-disc conversion is shown in good deatil.

Where can you get it?

Does the conversion to rear disc brakes really improve stopping power??

I've got no idea on an XJ, many cars its doesn't or at least the difference is so little its not worth the time, effort and money.

I have 4 wheel disc on my neon, and I love the never changing pedal height and feel, but I steer guys away from doing the swap because it litterally does absolutely nothing in improving stopping distance. So, even with junkyard parts, its a lot of money/time/effort just for the looks and/or pedal feel.

I imagine a 4WD Jeep is much different, but is it different enough to warrant the time/effort/money?

Rick Anderson said:
Does the conversion to rear disc brakes really improve stopping power??

I've got no idea on an XJ, many cars its doesn't or at least the difference is so little its not worth the time, effort and money.

I have 4 wheel disc on my neon, and I love the never changing pedal height and feel, but I steer guys away from doing the swap because it litterally does absolutely nothing in improving stopping distance. So, even with junkyard parts, its a lot of money/time/effort just for the looks and/or pedal feel.

I imagine a 4WD Jeep is much different, but is it different enough to warrant the time/effort/money?

I did the conversion to a 96 XJ with a D35 and ABS.
I never liked my original drums, when it rained they grabbed, noisy, poor performance of parking brake. My driveway has an incline, the parking brake action was poor. All these improved.
Stopping distance? I don't think that is expected to change, the prop valve will not allow more pressure than necessary, otherwise the rear brakes will lock.

in my experience, the problem has been with the "self-adjusting" drums that never self adjusted on either of my XJ's... no adjusting of a disk brake.... the non adjusting actually cause an accident with my 95' xj in the rain... dmv found me not at fault due to mechanical fault... so im going with a disk for stopping, e-brake, etc... now would a proportioning valve from a ZJ help out as well? I know my friend's 5.9ZJ stopped my trailer w/ no trailer brakes on better than my XJ did.

JeepinAudiophile said:
now would a proportioning valve from a ZJ help out as well? I know my friend's 5.9ZJ stopped my trailer w/ no trailer brakes on better than my XJ did.

I don't think that you have a choice, ZJs with drum rears don't use the same prop valve like the disc ZJs do.
Drums and discs don't have the same fluid needs.
When you get the ZJ valve you will find that the mounting bracket will not work on the XJ, you will have to remove the crimp, install the valve on your bracket and crimp it in place.

I just got my RE6030 and a pair of new axles. I'm swapping my low pinion d30 front with my new high pinion d30, and also swapping in a much tighter rear chryco 8.25 axle... right now would be the time to change it since we're disconnecting all the brakes and doing the zj disc conversion hopefully this weekend and into the week. I just want to be sure I get all the right pieces and put it tohether befor i close it up and fill it with fluid.

I just did the rear disc conversion. $86 bucks from a junkyard for all the parts. $40 for the backing plates from a ZJ with the d44a rear end (v8 ZJ). You don't have to grind out as much material with the d44a rear ends to fit them over a 8.25 since the d44a has bigger axle tubes then a d35c.

Then another $46 at a u-pull it place for the calipers+rotors.

under $200 sure beats the expensive price that Teraflex wants.

Have you thought about swapping in a Ford 8.8 axle from a Explorer? Gives you a much sturdier axle than the D35 and disc brakes "for free".

"Scheibenbremsen" means disc brakes (go figure...)
ford88.gif

I did this last weekend and the stopping power has improved greatly. Definately a good mod if you already have money into your 8.25. The calipers also serve as an axle retainer (safety from dropping a c-clip). Definately worth it.

Back