• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 Trans issue

xjfam98

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, thanks in advance for any help. I have a 98 cherokee automatic. I started having an issue where I would come to a stop and when I go to take off the jeep was sluggish like it is in 4th gear. I changed the trans fluid and shift solenoids. It does have a new TPS sensor already. The jeep will drop down to first and shift up through the gears manually. Any ideas on what to look for next?
Thanks!!

Have you tried adjustng the transmission throttle valve cable?
If the cable is broken, loose or if the spool valve, in the transmission's valve body is hanging up, it will be very sluggish.

When it "stays in 4th" does the engine die too? When you're shifting up through the gears (when it's acting normal) does it feel like there's a 5th gear (some people mistake TC lockup for another gear).

How about connecting a multimeter to the TCU to see if it's getting the electrical signal to downshift. There's only 2 solenoids and there's a chart in the FSM that says which ones are on for which gears. It could be a bad TCU. At least this way you'll know if it's something in the valve body or electronics.

Besides what has been mentioned, Check the brake light switch. Also, what got me on my fist '98 was it has two speed sensor on the trans. Mine was the rear one. I'd also clean out the NSS (Range Selector). Also, the TBS has some effect on the trans operation. Also, check battery voltage.

Hi all, thanks in advance for any help. I have a 98 cherokee automatic. I started having an issue where I would come to a stop and when I go to take off the jeep was sluggish like it is in 4th gear. I changed the trans fluid and shift solenoids. It does have a new TPS sensor already. The jeep will drop down to first and shift up through the gears manually. Any ideas on what to look for next?
Thanks!!

This sounds like the trans computer doesn't have power. A bad #1 shift solenoid will cause you to get 4th instead of 1st as well. You changed those already, so I would verify there is no damage to the wiring harness and open/clean and the connectors down to the trans.

Back