• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange noise, only under power.. noisy gear set?

Got in the heap today and there was this wine like noise. It only happens when i am under power, goes away when coasting. I have not front driveshaft in the jeep at this time. I did an axle swap with new gears and have been driving around on it for a week, no noise or anything, so I was under the impression that if it was improperly setup gears it would whine or make the gear noise from the getgo, but it only started today... should I rule out gear noise... could it be somthing from the aligment I had done two days ago (cause of the axle swap and new currie HD steering)

in regards to the gear set the gears were set up by a mechanic but due to a lack of an Inch pound torque wrench the preload was set but by the guesstimate method, the gear pattern and backlash were perfect, could a too tight or too loose pinion preload start making moise after a week of no noise and driving and then start up after a week

OK, scratch all this, it ain't the diff. I am glad i havent fixed my high idle stuff now. I went out and did the packing tape on the tire trick and couldnt hear it so left the motor running and went to apply more tape and my engine did its once in a million random high idle spikes and all or a sudden there was the noise... so thats good, its not the diff... now I need to find out what it is...

Shut off your air conditioner and see if it goes away. My 96 XJ whines whenever the ac compressor kicks on.

A/C is disconnected to be removed and a york put in for onboard air. pretty sure it is the alternator it makes a little squeal when it is turned by hand with the belt off

Back