• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

installing a teraflex 2" lift..

Mopar It

NAXJA Forum User
ha went to my junk yard found an 88' xj with all brand new pro comp es1000 shocks, and a teraflex 2" budget lift rear shackles and front coil spacers, shocks were 10 bucks each and each shackle was 5 bucks and the spacers are $2.50 each ANYWAY. how the hell do i get the front coil spacers off this thing? a.k.a. how do i get the i think stock bump stop off to remove the spacer?

Last edited:
Mopar It said:
ha went to my junk yard found an 88' xj with all brand new pro comp es1000 shocks, and a teraflex 2" budget lift rear shackles and front coil spacers, shocks were 10 bucks each and each shackle was 5 bucks and the spacers are $2.50 each ANYWAY. how the hell do i get the front coil spacers off this thing? a.k.a. how do i get the i think stock bump stop off to remove the spacer?
Make sure you unhook the shocks and the sway bars. Jack the frame up so the front can droop. If they are stock coils you should be able to pop them out. The bump stops pop out of the tower. If the spacers won't slip right over the towers, which they usually do. There is the cup at the bottom that the bump stops go into that will screw off. Use chain wrench of pipe wrench if you don't have a chain wrench. Any way those are some of the things I have had to do messing with the front coils.
My Mom grew up in Windsor back in the 40s. There used to be a POW camp there full of German soldiers back then.

Last edited:
The rubber part should just pop out...its probably in there tight as hell though....but its not threaded in...

Mopar It said:
so im gettin the impression i just vice grip the rubber part of the bump stop then take the bolt out or what? does anybody knwo first hand?
Yeah if you wiggle it enough it should come out at some point. I think the cup itself unscrews. I can't remember for sure though. You'd think after doing it a few times I'd remember , but I can't. CRS man ! Sorry

You might try drilling a small hole through the entire bumpstop. Insert long screwdriver and pull down on it while turning.

If that doesn’t work, like in my case, check to see if the bumpstop cup has been welded to the upper tower. The previous owner of my 87 had welded them together which melted the bumpstop to the cup. Impossible to remove it unless I wanted to rip it out.

I ended up grinding down the welds and whacking the cup with a hammer. Then unscrewed the entire bumpstop cup from the upper tower.

yeah mine's not welded like i can see the bolt somewhat but i cant get a good grip on the bottom part to take it off the tower. im really stuck here i wanna get the coil spacer out today soon as i can but i dont know what to do

Back