• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange noise...

Jump This

Just another minion!
I'm not a big fan of posting questions on the Tech threads...too many opinions and not enough knowledge...so....
I have a strange noise coming from under my rig.
It has the cadence of the drive shaft...almost a low tone clicking. Most noticable when turning but always there.
I have also noticed a bit of a 'wind up' prior to actual acceleration, that is to say I hit the gas and there is a momentary pause before movement, not a pause in the engine, almost like some sort of an axel wrap deal.
I am running a Detroit locker without too many hours on it, maybe a year and a half on it, I took the cover off the rear end and found nothing obvious, no metal in the oil.....its all starting to drive me nuts...
Could I be talking about a U-Joint going (gone) bad?
Any help would be appreciated!!
Rick R

Jump This said:
I'm not a big fan of posting questions on the Tech threads...too many opinions and not enough knowledge...so....

I guess that is a compliment for the SoCal chapter.......

next time you drive it, reach over and turn the knob on your radio clockwise 3/4 turn, the noise should go away. glad i could help.

Last edited:
Don't you find it humorous that (other than me) the only two comments are from people who are not in SoCal?

I'd check the U-joints first. Have you checked for any exhaust leaks? I had a really small leak between the cat and muffler that made a ticking sound once. Other than that, it's hard to say without hearing it. Have you put it up on jackstands, put it in gear while running and looked around? Or if you're really adventurous, lay underneath on a creeper, hang on and have the kids drive you down the street. Only joking, just trying to give this a mod-tech feel.

DAN

You're out there already finding the real problem while I'm sitting here half asleep, drinking my coffee, trying to come up with something amusing...at least to me. Hope that flange isn't ruined. I have one in stock if you need it.

Good luck.

Funny you should mention the 'drive around' idea.....I was trying to think of a way of doing that....at least until my wife saw me with a bundle of rope trying to make an undercarriage sling!!! :wierd:
But.....I'm still searching for the cause of the delay in acceleration....possibly axel wrap....although it would probably need to be a severe case of it for it to allow for a noticable delay.....and the spring pack is not all that old and certainly isn't sacked. Just another thing to contemplate during commercials...its too damn hot out here to work in the garage today...and NASCAR doesn't start for another hour......
Rick R :sunshine:

I would lean more towards transfer case issues than tranny. No slippage, it goes thru the gears cleanly (for an automatic.) There is still more to the problem than what I have found so far.
My wife says I am peranoid, its just that if I can't identify a noise or a vibration I spend as much time as it takes in order to find out the causes. But I do need to admit that the Jeep is working great, I just don't want to find the cause of the problem when I'm sitting on the top of huge rock pile and finding myself in need of being dead towed back to camp!
RickR :sunshine:

That delay your talking of could be caused due to low line pressure in the trans.

whaaa? hunhh?
you get a wind up? then the pitch... to many pad's games...
thats what you get for a hack n tap...
as said. pull the driveshaft, and feel the u-joints by hand. check the tranny fluid level color taste, smell.
if it matches the driveline and not the engine rpm then t-case and back. pre-rpm check the tranny.
Jump This said:
As long as Mike R and Ryan B are active in this group, I figure I'll get at least an honest guess!!
Rick R

Back