• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Desperate and looking for help!!!

Green Machine

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone!!!

Im coming to you all with some desperation.

1990 Cherokee XJ auto 4.0

Im bashing my head against the wall trying to figure out what is going on with my windshield washer fluid sprayers.

I currently have my steering column completely apart.

My problem is that my wipers seem to come on and off, however when i ask for the windshield washer spray to activate and wet the windshield nothing comes out. I sit there turning the turn lever and nothing happens!!

So let me now tell you what I've replaced in attempting to fix this problem. I've replaced the windshield washer pumps, water lines from pumps to sprayers, and for whatever reason I've also replaced the turn signal cam. I have also ensured my fuses are all good and not blown.

Does anyone know what i can do or look at to fix this darn problem? Its frustrating me to the high heavens.

Any advice (apart from dumping the truck) is gracefully accepted!!!

Thank you all!

GM

Could it be as simple as the nozzle heads are clogged and not letting fluid through? I’ll assume you checked that, but you didn’t specifically mention it.

If you unhook the hoses you replaced that runs to the nozzle heads and hit the sprayer control do you get any fluid out?

When you hit the sprayer control do you hear a “buzz” of the motor indicating that the pump motor is running?

Nozzle heads are not clogged. The entire system in the engine bay has been reviewed and replaced. The 2 pumps are new, lines are new as well.

When i turn the lever for spray there is no buzz sound at all. When i ask the lever for fluid, the wipers turn on but there is no fluid that comes out.

Appreciate the idea though. Please keep them coming.

I have a feeling this may be something for a mechanic. I have no idea what else it could be.

Have you applied 12 volts directly to the pumps ? Do you have power into the wash switch ? Do the pumps have ground ? Do you have wire continuity from the switch to the pumps ? Is there 12 volts at the pumps ?

Last edited:
No buzzing tells me that the motor isn’t getting energized.

Yeah, what Tim said.

"WINDSHIELD WASHER DOES NOT OPERATE

1) If motor runs but does not pump, check fluid level. If level is okay, check for split, loose, pinched or kinked hoses. Check for restrictions at nozzles. Check for reversed wire leads to motor.

2) If motor does not run, check for blown fuse. Replace fuse, if necessary. If fuse is okay, disconnect plug at reservoir and check for power by connecting a test light across connector terminals. Energize washer circuit by closing washer and ignition switches.

3) If no power is present, check for open ground wire or defective wiper/washer switch. Repair or replace as necessary. If power is present, reconnect plug to motor and check for tight connection. If motor does not run, replace pump motor.

Ah, one more question. Do you have intermittent wipers? If so, your washer switch connects to the module, then the module connects to the pump.

With or without, my '88 FSM says the While and Pink wires are the washer switch. White provides the 12v supply, Pink feeds it to the pump. On the pump side, it's Violet w/tracer that carries the 12v. The Black lead of the pump goes to ground.

Last edited:
Back