• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust hangers and rubber insulators

97jeepxj1

NAXJA Forum User
My exhaust has been bouncing around under my 97 and it has finally driven me insane enough to do something about it. All the rubber insulators for the hangers are shot. My question is does anyone know a part number for the with the rubber block that is located on the cross member next to the trans mount? Thought it was just an insulator but the only one I can find goes on the rear most hanger for the tail pipe.

My exhaust has been bouncing around under my 97 and it has finally driven me insane enough to do something about it. All the rubber insulators for the hangers are shot. My question is does anyone know a part number for the with the rubber block that is located on the cross member next to the trans mount? Thought it was just an insulator but the only one I can find goes on the rear most hanger for the tail pipe.

It is not available separately and the whole piece is NLA.

Do you have the round rod or the half-circle insulator?

The half-circle can be found here: http://www.morris4x4center.com/insulator-support-bracket-53000101.html

I don't know if the one with a round hole can be found.

Replacement requires grinding the rivets, drilling them out, driving them out and then replacing them with 10-32 machine screws and lock nuts.

I have some pics if need be.

Well crap if it's no longer available. Any way to fix it with something else.

Anak I'm at work till 9 but I'll see if I can crawl under and snap some pics when I get home.

Mine is the round rod style

IMG_0385_zpsnzs94din.jpg

Last edited:
Is that one yours?

It looks intact in that picture. Is there something dramatically different on the other side? Or is that a picture from another source?

I do not know of a source for a replacement for the round one, however, of all the parts that one would have a chance of making from scratch, that is one of the simpler parts. It is just a rectangular cube with a hole in it.

It may or may not be the insulator. I've had good luck loosening the exhaust clamps, raising the exhaust high enough to get a 1/2"-3/4" wood block between the trans cross member and the exhaust pipe and retightening the clamps. The exhaust sometimes settles a little during normal driving/bouncing around and irregardless of the tranny mount hanger, it does settle some.

The rear hanger near the differential/axle doesn't have to be Jeep specific, more than a few universal types will work (I have a junkyard Ford type in my 96).

Check your gas tank clearance and the health of the rear most hanger, this hanger tends to rot.

To get a little more lift and clearance you can even loosen the collector connection (doughnut) and get a little more play.

Exhaust systems, especially after market, aren't all exactly the same and they may need a little tweaking.

I've even needed to bend that hanger rod a little with a pipe wrench. :) Banging your exhaust on rocks or whatever bends stuff.

It's not cracked or anything the block has shrank from age and if you try to move the pipe you can see light are the edges. I'm guessing when new that block didn't move all. My plan was to replace that block the rear isolator and the rear hanger part that bolts to the frame. The rear mount isn't broken either but looks like it has stretched out a bit letting the pipe feast on the crossmember. Changed the trans mount thinking it would help (and because the jeep has 205k on it and it was the original mount) but it didn't help. Not much anyways. Maybe it's the anchor brand mount I bought but seemed like it sagged quite a bit under the weight of the trans.

Last edited:
It's not cracked or anything the block has shrank from age and if you try to move the pipe you can see light are the edges. I'm guessing when new that block didn't move all.

I can tell you that the now 2 years old block that I have in that position (U-shaped hanger rather than rod) pretty much matches your description. The weight of the exhaust has compressed the bottom half, leaving a bit of a gap above. It is not problematic though.

What is the condition of your motor mounts? I am betting that if you have taken care of the trans mount you have probably done likewise with the motor mounts, but if not, that would be my next step, and then I would reevaluate the state of the exhaust mounts. Motor mounts and exhaust problems seem to go hand in hand with XJs.

If your motor mounts are good I would then take 8Mud's advice and start adjusting things that way. One word of caution though, exhaust systems get brittle with age. A block of wood and/or a rubber mallet should be fine. I would avoid any temptation to use a crowbar or other such steel lever unless cushioned with wood. I also would not be surprised if you find a position in which things work better but also find that the clamps will not hold it there. It might be necessary to weld something once you figure out where it needs to be.

Back