• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ditch the hood prop! - Infinity Q45 hood struts - PICS

s14unimog

NAXJA Forum User
I bought these hood struts from a guy on one of my Nissan forums for almost nothing and originally planned to use them to lift/hold the carbon hood on my 240sx. Once I got them in I realized it would take some creative ingenuity to install them in an orientation that wouldn't split my hood in half; they're just too strong and the localized pressure would be too hard on the hood.

So now what? Put them on the Jeep of course! I've often thought about stealing the XJ's hood prop for the 240, since its so short and could be positioned up by the firewall, but figured I would just grab one next time I'm at the JY; no need now! The install was fairly painless but I still need to add some backing plates. Bottom line is that they work, work well, and don't require a whole lot to install them. On with the pictures!!!

Q45HoodStruts-05-24-11005.jpg

Q45HoodStruts-05-24-11004.jpg

Q45HoodStruts-05-24-11003.jpg

Q45HoodStruts-05-24-11002.jpg

Q45HoodStruts-05-24-11001.jpg

Last edited:
Hah thats pretty cool, only thing I dont like is as soon as they wear out i'd just be using the hood prop again anyway.

that's kinda like saying as soon as my hatch struts wear out, I'll use a stick. OR... just get some replacement. They're not THAT expensive. replacements struts are only about $20

that's kinda like saying as soon as my hatch struts wear out, I'll use a stick. OR... just get some replacement. They're not THAT expensive. replacements struts are only about $20

haha its amazing how many people I have seen that use a stick, broom handle or something stupid.

haha, I know what you mean. My dad is just one of those types. He's used a sawed off broom handle for almost 3 yrs in his Xterra. When I got my XJ 3 years ago, the hatch struts were the first thing I fixed/replaced.

haha its amazing how many people I have seen that use a stick, broom handle or something stupid.

haha, I know what you mean. My dad is just one of those types. He's used a sawed off broom handle for almost 3 yrs in his Xterra. .

vice grip ftw.

just clamp the shaft at the desired height

My desired height is all the way open, I have no patients for worn struts. AS SOON AS mine start to give up, out they come and in goes the new. I just enjoy working struts too much; plus, that hatch is HEAVY.

yup, vice grips are mad ghetto, if not downright fail...... step into 1985 where most vehicles should have these.... no need to get fancy either... take the old, saggy ones off the back of your hatch, they should be strong enough for the hood... i only run 1 with autofab hoobpins.

All it takes it one hood or hatch to the noggin to keep up on these things!

I have to tell on a friend of mine. About 4 years ago a friend of mine had his 89 XJ Waggy in his shop. It was lifted so you could walk under the hatch when it was open pretty easily. Another friend of mine was standing under the hatch talking and drinking a beer. He sees the vice grips on the hatch strut and he reaches over and releases them....SLAM...right on top of his head LOL. He couldn't come up with a reason for opening the vice grips lol.

I like the hood mod, I will have to remember that one!

Back