• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring illuminated toggle switches

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
hey folks, I'm going to be redesigning my light switches and relays for lights etc. I have a question regarding the switches though. I want to use illuminated toggle switches (3 pronged). The way I would like this to be played out is have the switches always dimly lit normally, but when they are toggled to "on" they are fully illuminated. Not sure if anyone has ever done this, but any help would be appreciated.

Standard illum switches don't work that way. The switch operates the light and load circuits simultaneously. Switch open, light off. Switch closed, light on. You will need a different type of switch.

thats what I've been figuring, any suggestions as to a better choice of switch to accomplish this? The other thing I was thinking was to simply put a couple LED's behind the mounting surface in hopes that a faint amount of light will filter through

you would be better off buying a few flush mount LEDs and wiring it so the light in the switch is always on, but the led comes on when there is power on the device.

you would be better off buying a few flush mount LEDs and wiring it so the light in the switch is always on, but the led comes on when there is power on the device.

I thought about doing that, but just seems messy...I know, I'm a little picky

couldn't find anything.

Would it be possible to to modify the switch so that it still connects the LED when in the "off" position, just with a resister or something so it appears dimmer?
briefly considered this while trying to give you a good answer earlier, problem is, the resistance needed is heavily dependent on the load you're driving. I think it could be done with a diode and a resistor but I'm not quite clever enough to think of how to do that just yet.

briefly considered this while trying to give you a good answer earlier, problem is, the resistance needed is heavily dependent on the load you're driving. I think it could be done with a diode and a resistor but I'm not quite clever enough to think of how to do that just yet.

I was starting to head in that direction as well. Perhaps I'll think of something while stuck in class haha.

What's the point of an illuminated switch that doesn't indicate it's state? Are you just looking for some flair, or to keep them handy at night, or what exactly? Depends on the switches, you can't always just tear them apart and rewire them.

My grand goal would be to have them dimly lit when i turn on my normal headlights. Since at that time the cabin is NORMALLY quite dark. Having the switches be dimly lit would make them much easier to locate for when i turn them on. Flair is not a concern, but I do want things to look orderly (ie not have separate indicator LEDS to determine if the switch is on)

http://rocker-switches.carlingtech.com/sealed-rocker-switch__26.asp

this one has 2 windows one that is a bar and the other is a square you can put a decal on. have the bar come on when the switch is on and the other tied to your dimmer switch on the dash so when your lights are on your switches will light up

might be useful
http://www.thetoolboxshop.com/top-lens-inserts-0-791-01-to-0-791-95-384-c.asp

Those actually came up in my search; however, I'm not sure where to actually buy them (I'm guessing they're more expensive) and I'm not a HUGE fan of rocker style.

$10 bucks each for any switch with a lighting circuit is about right. I have been looking for good switches for different things for a while. Ebay is another good place to look.

Another nice thing about the Carling switches is that you can buy the connectors for them.These guys came up in a thread many years ago,check them out.
http://www.otrattw.com/

Back