• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 4.0 sounds like a tea kettle in cold temps

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
I first heard this a few years ago on a really cold morning (15-20* F), and it sounds just like a tea kettle going off. It started again last year, so i replaced my idler pulley and, oddly enough, the noise went away...

Until this winter time, and its worse than ever. I replaced the idler pulley again, but i made no change. The noise goes away above roughly 60*F outside, but anything cooler than that the noise is pretty constant.

I checked all the vacuum lines and connectors, which all looked good. I also checked the torque on the rearward manifold bolts, which were in spec. I checked for cracks in the manifold too, but didn't see any. I'm at a loss here, and this noise is very embarrasing....people actually stare. help!

I first heard this a few years ago on a really cold morning (15-20* F), and it sounds just like a tea kettle going off. It started again last year, so i replaced my idler pulley and, oddly enough, the noise went away...

Until this winter time, and its worse than ever. I replaced the idler pulley again, but i made no change. The noise goes away above roughly 60*F outside, but anything cooler than that the noise is pretty constant.

I checked all the vacuum lines and connectors, which all looked good. I also checked the torque on the rearward manifold bolts, which were in spec. I checked for cracks in the manifold too, but didn't see any. I'm at a loss here, and this noise is very embarrasing....people actually stare. help!

It's probably the Serpentine Belt,
Have you changed out the OEM serp belt for an aftermarket one?
Are you leaking any power steering fluid onto the belt? PS fluid makes the belt squeel.
As a quick test Try spraying just a dab of wd40 (Hold the can nozzle close to the belt on the power steering pully & give it just a little squirt) on the belt & see if it quiets down.
The OEM Factory belts seem to run quieter than the aftermarket belts.

Noises are tough for us to help you with. From your description, (tea kettle going off) this doesn't really sound like the traditional serpentine belt squeal or chirp. Any check engine light or driveability symptoms?

You could try removing the belt and running the engine just for a few moments to troubleshoot if the noise is coming from ANYTHING on the route of the belt. That is a technique I've used successfully before.

Otherwise, just have to put in your time to see if you can identify root cause. Sometimes getting another opinion, a fresh set of ears if you will, can be helpful.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

i meant to add: serp. belt is brand new. It's definitely not a noise related to the belt, i've dealt with that before.

The noise also doesn't occur while in neutral, and stops once going below about 20 mph. It also sounds like its coming from the passenger side of the engine bay (if i drive by a wall, you can hear the noise echoed against the wall from the passenger side...but not vice versa)

I had the same problem on my Dakota. I know its totally different situation and everything but it ended up being the water pump. Not saying thats what it is but its worth a shot.

1. Buy about 3' of vinyl tubing, about 1/2~3/4" ID.

2. Stick one end of the tubing in your ear. Either ear, as long as you can hear in it.

3. While holding one end of the tubing in the selected ear, use your other hand to move the other end of the vinyl tubing around the engine bay with the engine running--please don't get caught in any of the moving parts--and you will be able to isolate the noise.

^i've always wanted to use that method to identify a problem, but this noise is definitely not there at idle...

could this possibly have any connection to my low idle? i know it's hard to say without hearing/seeing the situation...

Sometimes I hear a secondary whistle driving down the road. If I put the tranny in N or P it stops immediately, and starts again as soon as I put it in D. I've seen other people post about it too but haven't ever seen anything about what it is.

Sometimes I hear a secondary whistle driving down the road.

Great. Now your Jeep is playing a chord. Any idea what key it is in?

any other suggestions here? can the vacuum canister behind the front bumper go bad?

i really have no idea what else would cause a noise like this...

Use the method that joe mentioned with vinyl tubing (aka mechanics stethoscope). Have a buddy help you by increasing the idle speed while you poke around listening.

^i've always wanted to use that method to identify a problem, but this noise is definitely not there at idle...

could this possibly have any connection to my low idle? i know it's hard to say without hearing/seeing the situation...

Idle is when you have the most vacuum. If it's not there at idle, it's not likely to be a vacuum issue- but it still could be, if it's a noise that takes less than full vacuum to create.

It shouldn't be hard to find. Rev it till it's the loudest, look around, listen.. :dunno:

Makes sense. I noticed yesterday that there is a couple seconds of raspiness/wheezing from somewhere around the manifold/downpipe on cold startup........so me thinks i have an exhaust leak to track down down

Ok, checked the torque on the intake/exhaust manifolds and they are good.....no visible cracks on the exhaust manifold either. The sound is also more prominent on the passenger side, so i'm stumped here....

could it be the fan clutch? the sound is literally exactly like tea kettle

Back