• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this thing attached to my hood?

Dozer11B

NAXJA Forum User
I need to know what this is and if I can move it or REMOVE it all together.
Here's some pics:

IMGP0138-1.jpg

IMGP0139.jpg

It's in the way of a crank case breather I installed. Thanks much.

That thing is the worst excuse for a underhood light in the history of the automobile. I remove all of mine and throw them away. I carry a headlamp or flashlight in all of the XJ's.

thats not what mine looks like? is that on the late models? mine is the retractable?

I love my under hood lamp. I use it check my oil and other stuff all the time. In a road side break down I would have my flashlights but any amount of light is a help too.

Gain nothing from removing it and loose valuable light, I'll keep mine.

Looks like a zip-tie holder.
Back to the light socket. My '96 has it, but the plastic socket is broken, been that way since I bought it. Some '80s models had the retractable light, and I'm waiting to find a good one.

That's your underhood light but it's really fouled up. The bulb is supposed to be inside the little white "reflector". I just paid three bucks for one at the JY this morning and installed it, it probably will suck (figured at 3 bucks, it was worth the gamble) - I have a single OEM fog light from my old bumper that I'm probably going to bolt up instead.

EDIT: anyone know what switch turns this light on and off? I'm fairly afraid that I'll walk out to the parking lot after work and find myself with a flat battery.

there should be a mercury switch in the assembly so that it turns itself on when you open the hood. that's what my 91 has but it's a different bulb holder so dunno

some cars use the headlight circuit as a cutoff so that the light will only be on if the headlights are also on. yours probably doesn't but throwing that info out there just in case

I believe it's a mercury. or some sort of motion switch. On mine, there's no external switch or button. Later today, after I get it off the jackstands, I might take a look at it. I just put a fuel filter in (Fram), and it's leaking at the seam. Put it up in the air yesterday to replace the rear main brake line and hose to axle, and smelled gas. Oh great. Then, after snapping the tubing on the axle, fix it, go to bleed the brakes, and snap off a bleeder nut. Pull the drum to replace the cylinder, find axle seal starting to leak. I guess I know what I'm doing today!
JEEP- Just Empty Every Pocket!

Looks like some sort of catch can to catch the blow-by oil.

Yeah it's a VW crank case breather. I'm in the process of plumbing it up right now. It was recommended by a local 4x4 shop boss who runs XJ's and Mj's. Used to be involved here, but had a falling out over an OT argument.

i would like to know more about this vw breather, post up some info on it or pm me? thanks!

Back