• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What this thing that's clicking under my hood?

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ..

2ZpYZqN.jpg

The sounds coming from this thing right in front of the pass firewall. It clicking 2-3 times a second loud enough you can hear it w/ the hood closed. It's done this a couple times before but I never tracked down the sound. No clue what it is.

Sorry don't know why the picture is so big.

The sounds coming from a part right in front of my pass firewall. It's a short vertical cylinder w/ 2 vac lines on the bottom and an electric connection at the top. Its clicking 2-3 times a second, loud enough you can hear it w/ the hood closed. It's done this a couple times before but I never tracked down the sound. No clue what it is.

I’ve heard it called fuel purge solenoid, looking it up it’s called Duty Cycle EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid

Seem like they are supposed to tick.
Is it throwing any codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve heard it called fuel purge solenoid, looking it up it’s called Duty Cycle EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid

Seem like they are supposed to tick.
Is it throwing any codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is and they are. It opens and closes to allow fuel vapors, if I remember right, from the charcoal canister, into the intake manifold under certain operating conditions.

Faint tick-tick-tick-tick sound?

On my 2001 jeeps that would be a very small pump that is pumping air into the emissions system and the gas tank to test the integrity of the system.

Only runs when the gas level is somewhere less than Full and only runs for a little while after startup. If the test fails 3 (I think) times it throws a code.

it will throw a code for EVAP leak usually if it fails, but it is a leak detection pump. if I remember right it pressurizes the fuel tank to like 1/4PSI to check for leaks

Back