• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tj 241or

831_xj

NAXJA Forum User
Recently purchased a 241 from a tj. still waiting on FedEx but should be here tomorrow. Ive read all the threads out there. Have just a couple questions for those who have installed one. Going into a 99 auto with a 231 8.25 rear on 35s. currently use front xj shaft in the rear.

Did rear or front ds need to be lengthened or shortened?
I have heard mixed results.
Speedometer. I'm aware there are options to adjust it from things like the Dakota digital or superlift Speedo healer. How far off was it?
Excited to install it just looking to cover any speedbumps I may hit.

Recently purchased a 241 from a tj. still waiting on FedEx but should be here tomorrow. Ive read all the threads out there. Have just a couple questions for those who have installed one. Going into a 99 auto with a 231 8.25 rear on 35s. currently use front xj shaft in the rear.

Did rear or front ds need to be lengthened or shortened?
I have heard mixed results.
Speedometer. I'm aware there are options to adjust it from things like the Dakota digital or superlift Speedo healer. How far off was it?
Excited to install it just looking to cover any speedbumps I may hit.

Hey there,

I installed a 241OR into my rig a few years ago. At the time I installed mine, I already had a mass amount of a lift in the rear (a.k.a too much) and a Tom Woods custom driveshaft for that much lift. I never made any alterations or had my shaft worked on. I think the dimensions on the two cases are very similar. I previously had a 242 in mine, and I don't know the dimension differences between the 231 and 242. If you want, I can try to measure mine yoke to yoke and you can compare the two numbers? Do you need to replace or switch out the yokes?

As far as the speedometer, mine was significantly off. I think it was 15% or more and I simply wanted to avoid any issues with the transmission and shifting points, so I went with the Superlift unit.

Hope this helps.

TJ version should let your stock speedo unit drop right in.

No, the TJ case used a VSS.

DSC_2240.jpg

the 241 doesn't have a speedo gear like the 231. And the jk models don't even have the same tail cone so I'm thankful this is a tj.

and the 241 I bought has 1310 yokes.
that'd be awesome to get a measurement from the 242 seiller

Ok. Since there's so much crap in the way, I tried to make the most accurate measurement along the passenger side of the case.

I measured from the transmission to tcase mounting surface edge.

Measurement A is to the flat surface of the tail cone seal. 13"
Measurement B is to the mounting surface of the yoke. 15 3/8"

DSC_2240.jpg_zpsyukvm7ca.png

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks again seiler.
Ok little info for those. My case was from an 05 LJ. It measured roughly 15 3/8" from mounting surface to the center of the 1310 yoke. The 231 with Teraflex SYE measured about 16 1/8". I previously used a front xj shaft in the rear. It was at the end of its splines. Luckily I had a custom shaft I bought a while back off a buddy. Wouldn't fit with the 231 and sye. But it worked perfect with the 241! The 241 weighs 94 lbs with the 1310s . 231 weighs 70. My plug for the Speedo on the 99 works I just need a Speedo healer to adjust. Shift linkage I used was from boostwerks. It works great but the all thread he sends with the 231/242 Kit is only about 4-5" long. You need about a 10" piece. I'll have to run to fastenal Monday. As for the part time light. The connection was different. So I'm looking into either the 4wd switch or splicing the pigtail.

Thanks again seiler.
Ok little info for those. My case was from an 05 LJ. It measured roughly 15 3/8" from mounting surface to the center of the 1310 yoke. The 231 with Teraflex SYE measured about 16 1/8". I previously used a front xj shaft in the rear. It was at the end of its splines. Luckily I had a custom shaft I bought a while back off a buddy. Wouldn't fit with the 231 and sye. But it worked perfect with the 241! The 241 weighs 94 lbs with the 1310s . 231 weighs 70. My plug for the Speedo on the 99 works I just need a Speedo healer to adjust. Shift linkage I used was from boostwerks. It works great but the all thread he sends with the 231/242 Kit is only about 4-5" long. You need about a 10" piece. I'll have to run to fastenal Monday. As for the part time light. The connection was different. So I'm looking into either the 4wd switch or splicing the pigtail.

dont waste your money on a speedo healer just change out the gear on the sensor, you must have a big lift if a stock front didnt work for you, jb conversions sells the correct sensor and pigtail to correct the light problem but do you really need a light to tell you your in 4wd? might wanna double check your fitment i see you did not mention modifying the tranny mount when i installed mine into an auto i had to modify the rubber mount then when i converted to 5-speed i had to modify the plate the rubber mount bolts to...also you can adjust the stock linkage to work fine and if your 241 already had 1310 yokes that means someone put them on there already cause when i installed a 241 in my buddies xj we had the hardest time finding yokes cause they were backordered

dont waste your money on a speedo healer just change out the gear on the sensor, you must have a big lift if a stock front didnt work for you, jb conversions sells the correct sensor and pigtail to correct the light problem but do you really need a light to tell you your in 4wd? might wanna double check your fitment i see you did not mention modifying the tranny mount when i installed mine into an auto i had to modify the rubber mount then when i converted to 5-speed i had to modify the plate the rubber mount bolts to...also you can adjust the stock linkage to work fine and if your 241 already had 1310 yokes that means someone put them on there already cause when i installed a 241 in my buddies xj we had the hardest time finding yokes cause they were backordered

There's no swapping a gear in the 241 like a 231. Been covered above. I'm at 5" and 35s. And the 241 was roughly an inch shorter. I had roughly a half inch of usable slip on the stock front. I'm much happier to be running a beefier rear drive shaft anyways. And yes... I know they don't come with 1310s. As for linkage.. boostwerks donated it Out of curiosity if I could make it work with the 241. And the 4wd light I suppose I could care less. But for 10$ I can do it right.

Back