• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE replacement leaf spring bushings

This is REALLY simple to solve...

Grab a micrometer. Mic out the specs of the hole the bushing goes in.

Head over to Energy Suspension's site and check their offerings for something about the same size (a couple thou less would be ideal.

Buy product. Grease product. Install product.

Just that simple.

This is REALLY simple to solve...Grab a micrometer. Mic out the specs of the hole the bushing goes in.
Head over to Energy Suspension's site and check their offerings for something about the same size (a couple thou less would be ideal.
Buy product. Grease product. Install product.Just that simple.

Two major problems with that.............I hate poly and Energy and the other poly bushing suppliers(except Whiteline) don't offer many sizes!

I think you'd be surprised how many sizes they do offer.

As one example:
http://energysuspension.com/univers...type-bushings-universal-mounts-isolators.html

I know what you mean about poly. I hated it too, for the squeaking issue and additional NVH issues... until I actually installed them, and did so properly.

LOTS of marine-grade silicon grease. My wife's ZJ now rides like a brand new luxury SUV. Nice and tight.

That's a very minimal selection, the last time I ran into something like this I just poured my own, you can actually control the durometer during the pour that way!

Not sure if I qualify as an old timer but I bought my RE 3.5" leafs in 2003 and just last month I replaced the bushings with those Stengel Bros parts that ehall posted. They fit perfect and shipped quick for under $40 total. Had to freeze them and use a press even, nice snug fit.

http://stengelbros.3dcartstores.com/RB-121_p_6804.html
http://stengelbros.3dcartstores.com/RB-71_p_6867.html

I installed these in mine this past weekend. Fit perfectly and what a difference!

That's a very minimal selection, the last time I ran into something like this I just poured my own, you can actually control the durometer during the pour that way!

Where did you get the materials to pour your own? I may go this route for some custom applications.

Re: Poly bushings, I have installed two sets.

First set was a set of PST Polygraphite bushings, in my then-girlfriend's Valiant. Installed per instructions, exactly. They worked great, but squeaked.

Then I had to do a suspension rebuild on my own Wabbit GTI. Because I didn't have an arbor press, I just bought new lower control arms and poly (not graphite, could only find plain poly at the time) bushings because you could press those in by hand. For those, I roughed up the poly ever so slightly like I was told to do with the PG ones, and took a tube of graphite powder, and rubbed that stuff in the bushings until the moving surface was the color of a pencil lead. (bushings were red) no grease. I figured it would either work or it wouldn't. You know, I used those lower control arms on two different cars (sold GTI for a Scirocco and moved the suspension over) and probably 50K+ miles and never a peep out of the bushings. True story.

Where did you get the materials to pour your own? I may go this route for some custom applications.

I don't recall, it was local supplier. But it was a product like this.
15800-2.jpg

Back