• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crank Sensor connector swap?

sgt. slaughter

NAXJA Forum User
The crank sensor went in my 94 4.0 Cherokee automatic. I ordered one from Mopar, but they sent me one from a standard. the connector is completly different.

Can I just cut the connector off and splive in the old connector? Are the sensors themselves the same?

I live way out in the bush and it take about 5 days to get one shipped, so a quick exchange for the right one is not possible.

The connector is different because the CPS is different. Manual and Automatics CPS are different because of how the match up to the fly wheel or flex plate.

Last edited:
I can vouch that they are the same between Auto and Manual on a Renix engine. Napa shows different part numbers for the auto and manual cps for a 94, but I can't say if they are different.

If they look identical and only the plugs look different, I'd try swapping the connectors. You might be able to open the connector and push the pins out rather than cut and splice.

lawsoncl said:
I can vouch that they are the same between Auto and Manual on a Renix engine. Napa shows different part numbers for the auto and manual cps for a 94, but I can't say if they are different.

If they look identical and only the plugs look different, I'd try swapping the connectors. You might be able to open the connector and push the pins out rather than cut and splice.

The pins are different, the auto being pin type and the stick version has small blade type.

Back