• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can you lube both u joints in front diff on 90 xj

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
I can't find a place to lube the U joint on my front differential closest to the transfer case,

90 xj automatic

Is there a lube point, and a way to get to it.

I just had all 5 of my u-joints replaced and, as I recall, there was a little spot on the side the the mechanic had used to fill each one with grease. They were located between 2 of the posts(I guess we can call them). Not sure if you need some special tool to do it. I just took off both the drive shafts and brought them the new u-joints and they installed them in a couple hours.

In my case all 5 of the u-joints were exactly the same. I have an 88 XJ 4x4.

So i guess to answer your question, YES you can lube both u-joints on the front drive shaft.

Hope that helps

Curtis

On the driveshaft, there is two u-joints, and Centering joint. The centering joint will take a needle fitting and the u-joints might as well. Mine have reg. grease fittings. But the easy way to get to it is the take the driveshaft out to grease it and put it back in. Takes about 15 mins. Juice

yes you can regrease it, if you put geaseable joints in it, if not then most likely they are non-serviceable, and need replacement. Life-time greaseable my a$$. Maybe in a dry state where you don't drive during rain, snow, in the dirt, but still doubtful. I just did the joints on my front driveshaft, including a new centering joint. On a 98 you can get a greaseable centering joint/yoke assembly(imagine you can get it for other years), uses a needle fitting, and then I used greaseable u-joints for everything else, needle fittings when possible, makes life easier.

Back