• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

January 2013 Off-Season Volunteer Workday

Do you plan on attending the workday?

• Total voters

DRaider90

NAXJA Forum User
The first workday of 2013 is currently scheduled for January 26th during the seasonal trail closure. A workload has not been established yet, but typically the Forest Service uses the Off-Season workdays to get as much done as possible. This usually involves an equipment rental to tackle the bigger projects. The tentative schedule goes as follows:

8AM: Breakfast @ Eldorado Outpost, some of us get together in the back of the Outpost and eat breakfast.

9AM: Forest Service Meeting @ Hunt Camp, this is the official meet up time for the workday where everyone signs in and is briefed on the projects for the day.

1PM: Lunch, around 1pm everyone stops to have a trail side lunch.

3PM: Wrap up, there is no scheduled wrap up time but usually work ends sometime around 3pm.

More information on supplies/tools to bring as more information is made available about the actual work load planned.

As of now my schedule is open and I plan to be there.

No guarantees, but my schedule is open and I'd like to come. Do we need a vehicle that can access the trails or is it fire road driving?

No guarantees, but my schedule is open and I'd like to come. Do we need a vehicle that can access the trails or is it fire road driving?

The trails are connected via Forest Service Roads which are gravel/dirt, they are a bit rough on cars but you can get to any of the trails via them. From there you will need some kind of 4wd vehicle to get to where ever we are working on the trail. Or you can park and ride with someone, there are always open seats. Hope you can make it out.

I will have an open seat(s) available. Just let me know how many I will be attempting to bring some more boots with me.

I will have open seats as well for anybody else that would like to volunteer but may not have a rig to get down the trails.

The official e-mail for the workload will be sent out next week sometime, but Terry Savery did get back to me with some key information. Here is a quote from her e-mail:

For January 26th we could use a bobcat to put extend 2 sections of guardrail and put in a new section of guardrail on Rocky Mountain Loop Trail. The sections to do on Rocky Mt Loop are after the Dickey Bell intersection you have the long sections of guardrail and then there’s a break for a curve and then there are 2 sections before you get to the black culvert. We’d extend that first one and then there is a section of guardrail at the black culvert that we’d extend too and then there is a section of trail in between the 2 existing sections that we ‘d put another piece up. I have them flagged & I have notes on how many pieces of rail & posts we’ll need.

We also have guardrail stock piled up at the hill climb on the eastern end of Dutch John Trail to install but we’ll do that one with our hand augers because I’m not going to have anyone drive a bobcat down that hill climb and it would take too long coming the other way.

I'll see what I can do about coming up. I think what Red wants to know as do I, is our mostly trailered rigs needed for the work day? Is this forum being sent out to others Eli or is this jsut the NAXJA group on here? BC all I see is NAXJA atm.

I'll see what I can do about coming up. I think what Red wants to know as do I, is our mostly trailered rigs needed for the work day? Is this forum being sent out to others Eli or is this jsut the NAXJA group on here? BC all I see is NAXJA atm.

We will be working on Rocky Mountain Loop and Dutch John, both trails that do have some fun areas but both can be navigated in a fairly stock rig. So you can bring a trailered rig up, but its also possible to be done in a mild rig or ride along with someone. Anyway we can get people up there, let me put it that way.

The main other public forum I have posted on in the past is NC4X4, and with the drama that is over there I have opted to not post anything UORV related on there. If anyone wants to link to the forums on other boards that is cool, I just have no interest in bringing the drama/bs of NC4X4 on here.

We will be working on Rocky Mountain Loop and Dutch John, both trails that do have some fun areas but both can be navigated in a fairly stock rig. So you can bring a trailered rig up, but its also possible to be done in a mild rig or ride along with someone. Anyway we can get people up there, let me put it that way.

The main other public forum I have posted on in the past is NC4X4, and with the drama that is over there I have opted to not post anything UORV related on there. If anyone wants to link to the forums on other boards that is cool, I just have no interest in bringing the drama/bs of NC4X4 on here.

I won't drive the jeep then. I can get around on the fire roads in the truck and walk up the trail if I need to. I just didn't know if we were going to be going far off the fire roads.

My first trip to URE was in 2004 in a land rover ;)

Here's a good list of items you'll need to bring with you on the workday:

Things to bring are: your lunch, water, work boots, work gloves, layers of clothing so you’re ready for wet, dry, cold or hot weather, and an assortment of tools if you have the that are good are: shovels, rock bars, chains, D-rings, sledge hammers, ratchets with sockets that are 1 ¼-inch in size, regular hammers. If you’re chainsaw certified and are coming up please bring your chainsaw equipment with you that you received as part of your training & we’ll have additional chaps and wedges for those who don’t have them.

Also, here is where we'll be meeting:

We’ll meet at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp on Reservation Road (SR 1153) at 9 am all of the work weekends. If you don’t know where the Uwharrie Hunt Camp is please email me or call me & I’ll give you directions.

The above information came in an E-mail yesterday from one of the Forest Service Reps. I'm working on getting directions to the Hunt Camp for those who might see this at the last minute and decide to join.

Easiest way I can describe how to get to Hunt Camp:

Coming from the South up Highway 109 North-

After you cross the Uwharrie River via bridge at the bottom of the hill you will start going back up hill. On the left you will see a large Uwharrie National Forest Sign, right before it is a road. Make a left onto that road, then a quarter of a mile or so on the right will be a sign for the Hunt Camp. Turn right into the Hunt Camp. If you miss the entrance to the Hunt Camp you can turn right at the first road (where asphalt turns to gravel) and make another immediate right to get in.

Coming from the North going down Highway 109 South-

After passing the Eldorado Outpost on your right about a half a mile or so on your right you will see a large Uwharrie National Forest Sign, right after it is a road. Make a right onto that road, then a quarter of a mile or so on the right will be a sign for the Hunt Camp. Turn right into the Hunt Camp. If you miss the entrance to the Hunt Camp you can turn right at the first road (where asphalt turns to gravel) and make another immediate right to get in.

I will try to make it out, my finances to get there to help are looking close, but I should be able to manage it, no guarantees though.

ELi will the guardrail need to be brought in on Saturday or will you guys be doing that on Friday?

ELi will the guardrail need to be brought in on Saturday or will you guys be doing that on Friday?

From the e-mail Terry Savery sent me today, her goal is for us to drag guard rail Friday and do the install Saturday. IF this works out to be the case we should have a short and sweet workday Saturday, because a big portion of the work is dragging the guard rail. It depends on who shows up Friday to help out, and how much we can get done (and who shows up Saturday for that fact also).

I am a no-go for Friday. Will be in class until at least 5pm. Saturday is a definite. Hopefully I can wrangle a passenger or two.

From the e-mail Terry Savery sent me today, her goal is for us to drag guard rail Friday and do the install Saturday. IF this works out to be the case we should have a short and sweet workday Saturday, because a big portion of the work is dragging the guard rail. It depends on who shows up Friday to help out, and how much we can get done (and who shows up Saturday for that fact also).

I have to drive 4 hours one way. Just how short and sweet are you talking about?

Back