• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New A/C setup in 89'

Black_Black

NAXJA Forum User
I took all the AC components out of my jeep a long time ago I don't have any of it. Anybody know what parts I need for an r-134 setup? Junkyard options?
Thanks

Thanks cruiser I saw another post where you recommended adapter oil what kind should I use in an original compressor?

I'm going to try to use a parallel flow condenser for the newer XJ's has anybody done this?

If it were me, given that '95 and '96 run R134 and are the same body and interior design as an '89, I would pick one of those years (they may be identical, but I don't know for certain) and recreate that system in the '89. That way you keep it as simple as possible when it comes to needing to service the system and you know for certain how much freon you need in order to charge the system properly.

The compressor mounting is different from Renix years to HO years. You could either grab the bracket as well, or just buy a new compressor that's compatible with R-134a (which is pretty much all of them) these days.

Did you "cap off" the evaporator? How long has everything been disconnected?

Ultimately, I would still buy a new compressor, condenser, receiver/dryer, and hoses.

Grab any brackets, harnesses, relays, service valves and any components, you can't find new from salvage.

Checkout:

https://www.ackits.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=39818_39124_33700_13492

https://jeepair.com/collections/com...-with-3-diameter-drier?variant=32067024224341

Thanks cruiser I saw another post where you recommended adapter oil what kind should I use in an original compressor?

I'm going to try to use a parallel flow condenser for the newer XJ's has anybody done this?

The compressor doesnt care, it's the refridgerant that determines the type of PAG oil to be used.

If it were me, given that '95 and '96 run R134 and are the same body and interior design as an '89, I would pick one of those years (they may be identical, but I don't know for certain) and recreate that system in the '89. That way you keep it as simple as possible when it comes to needing to service the system and you know for certain how much freon you need in order to charge the system properly.

That sounds like the cheapest way to go. Can anyone confirm a 96 compressor and bracket will work?

The compressor mounting is different from Renix years to HO years. You could either grab the bracket as well, or just buy a new compressor that's compatible with R-134a (which is pretty much all of them) these days.

Did you "cap off" the evaporator? How long has everything been disconnected?

Ultimately, I would still buy a new compressor, condenser, receiver/dryer, and hoses.

Grab any brackets, harnesses, relays, service valves and any components, you can't find new from salvage.

Checkout:

https://www.ackits.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=39818_39124_33700_13492

https://jeepair.com/collections/com...-with-3-diameter-drier?variant=32067024224341

The evaporator core has been uncapped for 10 years. Do I need a new one?

I like the idea of using 96 salvage parts. Wish I didn't throw the original stuff away.

The compressor doesnt care, it's the refridgerant that determines the type of PAG oil to be used.

I thought people use something that's compatible with leftover mineral oil in the 89' compressors? I don't know

I can't confirm what it takes to make the compressor bracket fit, but I can tell you the trick is to find one that doesn't have the compressor mounting bolts broken off in the bracket. OTOH, I have been successful in removing the broken ends of the bolts by soaking them in Kroil and then welding a nut on the remainder. I think the welding heat does the most to help break them free.

By all means try to soak the compressor mounting bolts with a good penetrant before you try to remove them.

I thought people use something that's compatible with leftover mineral oil in the 89' compressors? I don't know

Mineral oil and PAG oil are not compatible.
Mineral oil is not compatible with r134a.

If you mean uncapped as in "open to the atmosphere", I wouldn't use it. Of course, replacing it is a big job. Plenty of YT vids on it. I would replace the heater core as well as long as you're in there. Check the condition of the foam, replace as needed.

I'm gonna guess you didn't remove the condenser (in front of the radiator). Same thing. If left uncapped, I'd replace it. Your choice to go serpentine or parallel.

I think the change in AC compressor mounting occurred in '91. Renix used 2 longitudinal (horizontal) bolts to hold the compressor on. Later models used 4 vertical bolts. You would have to use the newer AC bracket if you use a '91+ compressor.

Since you're gonna have to change the evaporator and condenser, you'll have nothing left with mineral oil so that's not a problem.

Some years back I had a compressor failure. Was quite a bit of work and expense to get it working again, but it does!!

Compressor failure

EVN7f85l.jpg

Everything but the evaporator and compressor

ghlVI2Al.jpg

When I did mine, I kept R-12. I have my EPA Sect 609 cert so I can still buy R-12 (yes, it's expensive). I also have manifold gauges and a vacuum pump to service the system.

You'll need to take it to an AC shop to evacuate and charge so you need to factor in the cost for that as well.

I can't confirm what it takes to make the compressor bracket fit, but I can tell you the trick is to find one that doesn't have the compressor mounting bolts broken off in the bracket. OTOH, I have been successful in removing the broken ends of the bolts by soaking them in Kroil and then welding a nut on the remainder. I think the welding heat does the most to help break them free.

By all means try to soak the compressor mounting bolts with a good penetrant before you try to remove them.

Thanks I might do ok not much rust here. I heard about the compressor bolts years ago but mine came right off.

Mineral oil and PAG oil are not compatible.
Mineral oil is not compatible with r134a.

Thanks RCP I'll use 134a parts.

If you mean uncapped as in "open to the atmosphere", I wouldn't use it. Of course, replacing it is a big job. Plenty of YT vids on it. I would replace the heater core as well as long as you're in there. Check the condition of the foam, replace as needed.

I'm gonna guess you didn't remove the condenser (in front of the radiator). Same thing. If left uncapped, I'd replace it. Your choice to go serpentine or parallel.

I think the change in AC compressor mounting occurred in '91. Renix used 2 longitudinal (horizontal) bolts to hold the compressor on. Later models used 4 vertical bolts. You would have to use the newer AC bracket if you use a '91+ compressor.

Since you're gonna have to change the evaporator and condenser, you'll have nothing left with mineral oil so that's not a problem.

Some years back I had a compressor failure. Was quite a bit of work and expense to get it working again, but it does!!

Compressor failure

EVN7f85l.jpg

Everything but the evaporator and compressor

ghlVI2Al.jpg

When I did mine, I kept R-12. I have my EPA Sect 609 cert so I can still buy R-12 (yes, it's expensive). I also have manifold gauges and a vacuum pump to service the system.

You'll need to take it to an AC shop to evacuate and charge so you need to factor in the cost for that as well.

Nice, I am cheap so a $30 JY compressor is pretty appealing to me. Even if I just get the bracket the parts are cheaper for the ~96 systems.

I am about to do the heater core so the evap core won't be a big deal. I'll get a newer style condenser, hopefully the 96 lines will work with the 89 core.

I have a vacuum pump so I'll get a gauge manifold and charge the system with cans. That's the plan anyways hopefully I luck out at the junkyard.

What would the problem be with my old evaporator corrosion? It has been behind the expansion valve those 10 years.. Can I pull a vac on it and save the $100?

Yes, corrosion as it was open to the elements. Condensation and debris could have settled in and mixed in with any residual mineral oil left in the evap when you removed the other components. No telling what that may have turned into after all these years. However, the expansion valve may have helped. You'll want to change the expansion valve anyway for an R-134a one.

You should flush it first and see what happens.

Back