• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mopar 360 In XJ

I know I'm bringing back a dead thread but for future reference, I figured I would answer. To use the 904 or the 999 you'll have to find a 2wd trans with a 360 converter. You then swap out the tail shaft of the 2wd and your Jeep's 4x4 shaft. It's not a hard procedure. The torqueflight is a very simple trans. In fact I just rebuilt my 727 for 120 bucks in my 84 ram. While you have your 904 out you can also install the 999 bands and beef it up. I'm currently trying to figure out the engine mounts for my build in my 85.

Well anything can be done! I will have about $10,000 buget for the project before I even think of starting it. I wanna put a mopar in it but if I have to I will do a Small block Chevy. I just wnat a f**kin V-8 in the thing. I want the sound and the power! Any write ups on the idea? Anyone have a SBC in the 4x4 XJ? And when I do pt on in I will stiffen the hell out of the unibody.

yeah, I do. I just put a zz6 SBC (405hp/400 ft lp tq). It's a pain, but doable.
If you want to drop a v8 into an xj, by far the easiest to do is a chevy. This maybe counter intuitive, but here are so many adapters out there. Check out novack adapters.. they make adapters for just about everything you need. Keep in mind you're also going to be changing the tranny, and likely keeping your transfer case (no real reason to swap it out if it's decent), so that means at least an adapter and a custom output shaft.

Wwhen I first dropped a SBC in to my truck (late 90s), I did a circa '88 350. Back then, ls motors were running $12k. I went with a zz6 motor this time around becuase it was a direct drop in, and all my accessories fit and the power was decent. LS motors are definitely the way I'd go if I was going from scratch.

That said.. it's an xj, so EVERYTHING is a pain with that much motor in the bay.

yah .. I just saw the last entry was fairly recent, didn't realize how old this was

Back