• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96XJ 231 linkage problem

TrailOfGears

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up this Jeep from my brother a couple months ago. Problem is that I have to crawl under the jeep and manually move the linkage to shift into 4WD.

Decided to take a closer look at whats going on down there today. It seems to be missing the adjustment arm which I found in the back of the jeep. However, there is the middle section between the two brackets that the arm attaches to that does not seem to be lining up right between the two brackets. I think this is due to the cross member drop kit that is installed on the jeep.

before I go about re attaching the arm, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to go about correcting this problem with the linkage.

I would post a pick, but it does not appear the site will let me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5f8App1KN0tOHJyY2c1aTMybWhlcktFVk85T2dCS19jZ0RF/view?usp=sharing

Many XJ'ers use an aftermarket shift linkage kit that replaces the factory junk. Check out either Boostwerks Engineering or Azzy Design Works. Both offer a shift linkage that works much better that the factory unit. I run a Boostwerks on 2 of my XJ's. I would seriously consider the Azzy Design as well.
Looks like with Azzy's you don't have to remove the transfer case shift lever to drill another hole for the bracket like you do with the Boostwerks. I could be wrong about that though, I have no experience with Azzy. Hope that helps.

Azzy's uses stock shift lever and hole. Have had my Azzy's linkage installed for a few years. works like it should.

Back