• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low Buck Exhaust Mod Video

I was worried there for a second, but... seems like a reasonable mod. I also think you underestimate what people here consider to be "not DIY." :firedevil There's a whole sub-forum dedicated to mods and such people have basically never attempted on an XJ. A few thoughts-

1. On the XJ, is the tailpipe hanger clamp retained or not?

2. Any issues with vapor lock or the fuel evap system or is it basically okay just as long as the width between the fuel tank and the tail pipe remains the same?

I was worried there for a second, but... seems like a reasonable mod. I also think you underestimate what people here consider to be "not DIY." :firedevil There's a whole sub-forum dedicated to mods and such people have basically never attempted on an XJ. A few thoughts-

1. On the XJ, is the tailpipe hanger clamp retained or not?
The factory tailpipe hanger on mine sat above the tailpipe in the space I wanted to move the exhaust, so I had them weld up a new one.

2. Any issues with vapor lock or the fuel evap system or is it basically okay just as long as the width between the fuel tank and the tail pipe remains the same?
Never any issues in 20 years. On the XJ, the tailpipe isn't closer to the gas tank, just higher up. I can't remember how many XJ's I've owned that we've had this done to.

I think it's just a great low buck mod. No way I'll be hitting the trails without having that done. Our local shop only charges around $20.00 or $30.00 for this, so it's a no-brainer for me...

I didn't do all that much to mine, and mine seems to hang a bit higher, even where it would sit stock, that the XJ in the video.

Though I realize all things being that same, mine might have, just skewed by the lift and shackles.

40164240693_49e344285b_c.jpg

You can also take a section out where it comes back down over the axle, that that will easily raise it up...no whole new section needed.

Man, I thought DPG was no longer for some reason.

Makes sense you transferred more to the JK world as many have.

I didn't do all that much to mine, and mine seems to hang a bit higher, even where it would sit stock, that the XJ in the video.

Though I realize all things being that same, mine might have, just skewed by the lift and shackles.

40164240693_49e344285b_c.jpg

You can also take a section out where it comes back down over the axle, that that will easily raise it up...no whole new section needed.

Man, I thought DPG was no longer for some reason.

Makes sense you transferred more to the JK world as many have.

Yours looks very similar to the project in the video to me. Those shackles do make a difference.
IMO, a new tailpipe is the best way to make that all fit the best.

We're in our 20th year of business now. :wave1:

The suspension kits we still sell the most of are for TJ/LJ and XJ's!

Dirk, are you still in Rose Hill? It's been at least 15yrs ago that I stopped by to meet you. I drove up from Winfield while I was visiting the old homestead! I see we have both put on some years!

Dirk, are you still in Rose Hill? It's been at least 15yrs ago that I stopped by to meet you. I drove up from Winfield while I was visiting the old homestead! I see we have both put on some years!

Yes- still here!

Back