• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sitting for 4 years

Inverhyt

NAXJA Forum User
Hello!

I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee 2 door 4x4 with the 4.0 and AX-15. Its a wonderful little machine, we picked it up for 1k with 120k miles on it.

It had issues where it was burning a crap ton of oil but, replacing the entire CCV system and putting new oil with some Marvel Mystery Oil seems to have completely fixed the problem.

Obviously since it's been sitting for a few years (understatement I know) it has some age problems.

I've flushed the coolant system, put some 10w-30 Rotella T5 in, flushed the clutch and brakes, and I have fluids for the transmission, differential and power steering. The belt was shreking like a witch so I replaced that and tightened it until it didn't make a peep.

I also have a good sized exaust leak in the muffler. Looks like it got hit by a large object. Any good replacement suggestions? Cat might also need to be replaced, it doesn't stop smoking until it's been driven hard for a little bit.

I heard somewhere that using a full synthetic 10w-30 in the AX-15 was a good idea and I had a gallon laying around. It's Pennzoil. Good idea?

The clutch has about a half to full inch of dead space before it actually does something. I can just wiggle it around with my hand. Is that normal?

After sitting this long should I also replace the fluid in the differentials?

The only problem I haven't solved is the interior fuse box. It has a lot of rust and doesn't like to make a solid connection with most of the fuses. So going down the road, it likes to turn random things on and off as I hit bumps. My girlfriend thinks it's the funniest thing. Should I try to clean it with wire brushes and contact cleaner or try to find a new one? I haven't been able to find a replacement online unfortunately.

Any suggestions will probably be done as this car is gonna be my baby.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hello!
The only problem I haven't solved is the interior fuse box. It has a lot of rust and doesn't like to make a solid connection with most of the fuses. So going down the road, it likes to turn random things on and off as I hit bumps.

If the terminals are loose, no amount of cleaning them is going to help. I don't know if the 1995 would use the same GM-style terminals, but I replaced all the terminals in my 1989 fuse box (see https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1142103). No more reaching up with the left foot to tap the fusebox to get the dash lights back on. Make sure you don't have any leaks above the fusebox, especially clutch/brake fluid.

On the tranny, I had good luck with a 50/50 mix of Redline MTL and MTL-90. Others swear by synthetic motor oil or penzoil synchromesh. Avoid anything that says GL4 or GL5 as the higher sulfur content and EP additives are not friendly to brass synchros.

I have a car that uses synchromesh oil , I used royal purple oil for trans that use synchromesh oil and it shifts better .
I just put the 10w-30 in it and it seems to work well. I've got no complaints.

If the terminals are loose, no amount of cleaning them is going to help. I don't know if the 1995 would use the same GM-style terminals, but I replaced all the terminals in my 1989 fuse box (see https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1142103). No more reaching up with the left foot to tap the fusebox to get the dash lights back on. Make sure you don't have any leaks above the fusebox, especially clutch/brake fluid.

On the tranny, I had good luck with a 50/50 mix of Redline MTL and MTL-90. Others swear by synthetic motor oil or penzoil synchromesh. Avoid anything that says GL4 or GL5 as the higher sulfur content and EP additives are not friendly to brass synchros.
I'll take a crack at replacing all the connections. Thank you!

Back