NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 17th, 2009, 11:01
NAXJA Forum User

Re: WJ brake upgrade for a 2001 XJ... Simplified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos View Post
Let's keep things accurate here. WJ rotors have always been 12" in diameter, regardless of the model year or caliper type. Also, 99-newer grands came with both 16" wheels and 17" wheels.

WJ Rotor Reference:
http://www.napaonline.com

WJ Wheel Reference:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/wheels.htm
LOL you know you are so right on the wheels, I was thinking of the 05 and newer, but I am going to double check the rotor size on a Jeep here for service, and let you know, that was the claim from the Chrysler rep at training...
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:05
NAXJA Forum User

the 14" measurement must have included the caliper as well, would make sense..
Old October 7th, 2009, 20:40
NAXJA Member # 13

So, after reading thru more WJ steering upgrade swap articles than I can count, I've come to these conclusions:

I'm running 2001 TJ Unit Bearing Hubs right now and I have the JKS 1/4 hub spacers to weld on, so I'll need to run Sport Trac rotors to keep the rotors spaced properly in my Akebono calipers? Does this setup also eliminate the need for washers between the rotor and the hub?

I also need to pick up WJ Lower ball joints to be safe, although many have said that they run XJ uppers and lowers.

I'm already running a Vanco Big Brake kit, which I will be selling when I get the WJ stuff......I'm doing the swap for the steering benefits, as the Vanco kit stops my Jeep very well. I DD my rig on the freeway and I'm done with the poor steering response of an Inverted Y design.

TIA

Last edited by XJEEPER; October 7th, 2009 at 20:53.
Old October 7th, 2009, 21:26
NAXJA Forum User

Be sure to post results of WJ vs Vanco brakes.
Also - couldn't you go crossover with the knuckles you have? Wouldn't change the drag link angle, though...
Old October 7th, 2009, 21:42
NAXJA Member # 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
Be sure to post results of WJ vs Vanco brakes.
Also - couldn't you go crossover with the knuckles you have? Wouldn't change the drag link angle, though...
Define "crossover"? The Vanco kit runs a modified XJ knuckle to fit the larger calipers, I'm already running Currie steering modified for OTK. Not interested in the inverted T either....I want the WJ setup, which is how Jeep should have shipped all of their rigs.
Old October 7th, 2009, 21:47
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJEEPER View Post
Define "crossover"? The Vanco kit runs a modified XJ knuckle to fit the larger calipers, I'm already running Currie steering modified for OTK. Not interested in the inverted T either....I want the WJ setup, which is how Jeep should have shipped all of their rigs.
crossover - as I know the term, it means that the tie rod goes knuckle to knuckle and the drag link goes pitman arm to knuckle. Without the 2nd steering arm found on the WJ knuckles, this is accomplished by using heim joint steering. Drag link on top of the steering arm, tie rod under it & bolted together with one long bolt & a nut + washers.

Agreed - Jeep sold all the parts to make a really badass rig but never put them all in one place. 4.2 crank / rods, WJ knuckles steering & brakes, ZJ rear disc, the C 8.25 axle, 99+ intake, WJ steering pump, ZJ air cleaner... WTF - why not get honest and market them as Erector sets?
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:00
NAXJA Member # 13

Right, but I prefer to run TRE's as opposed to heims, so no.......my existing knuckles will not accomplish my goal.

I'm trying to get some clarity here from those who have completed the swap, is it best to run Sport Track rotors with 2001 TJ hubs for a bolt-on with the proper rotor/caliper spacing , or stick with the WJ rotors and redrill to the 5 x4.5 bolt pattern to maintain proper rotor/caliper spacing?

Seems to be a mix of parts and the associated info varies in all the threads I've read. I yet to see a true writeup, that clearly addresses which components work best together.
Old October 18th, 2009, 20:12
NAXJA Forum User

Bump for any answers? Found a bunch of WJ's in the junkyard and realllly considering this swap.
Old October 18th, 2009, 21:42
NAXJA Forum User

From my understanding, if you use the Sport Trac rotors w/ the 01 hubs, you still have to space out the rotor from the hub to get it centered properly - the height of the sport trac rotor is 0.1" higher than the WJ rotor (2.6" vs 2.5")....so you need some washers that are ~0.05"

Me personally, I'm going to get redrilled WJ rotors, just for the simplicity. I'm sure I could find somewhere in town to re-drill rotors for me....
Old October 18th, 2009, 22:10
NAXJA Forum User

Alright I am kinda confused, lets say I want to go buy this stuff new from the dealer or parts store...(aside from price and the JKS stuff)

What parts would I need?

What year, model or models would be best to tell them?

WJ: Rotors, Knuckles, Calipers, caliper brackets, and pads??

Sport track: Bearing unit??
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:57
NAXJA Forum User

2003-04 WJ Calipers, Knuckles, Brackets, Pads

Unit Bearings - 01 TJ? (for some reason - but I think ones from an 00-01 XJ are the same - you just don't want the ones that were used with "composite rotors")

Rotors - if you get the WJ ones, you'll have to redrill them to 5x4.5". If you go with ones from an 03-ish Explorer Sport Trac, then they're already 5x4.5", but the rotor height is just a hair taller, so you have to space them out from the hub in order for them to be centered in the caliper bracket.

You will also need to re-do your steering - new TREs/heims and a new tie rod/draglink, because on the WJ rotor, it is knuckle-to-knuckle for the tie rod. Drag link is separate and mounts higher. Not sure how else to describe it
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:05
NAXJA Forum User

Also if you use sport trac rotors, you need to grind down the outer flange of the hub in order to fit the rotor over it. It's not much but must be done.

If I was building a D30 again, I would have used WJ rotors redrilled. It's not hard to do and no need to mess with rotor spacing or grinding down the hub flange.
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparManiac View Post
If I was building a D30 again, I would have used WJ rotors redrilled. It's not hard to do and no need to mess with rotor spacing or grinding down the hub flange.
Colin, remember when we talked about this? the only problem still with the WJ rotors though will be the fact that theyre now 1/4" out to far because of the JKS spacer added behind the unit bearing.
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:00
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwar71 View Post
Colin, remember when we talked about this? the only problem still with the WJ rotors though will be the fact that theyre now 1/4" out to far because of the JKS spacer added behind the unit bearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNickel101 View Post
Rotors - if you get the WJ ones, you'll have to redrill them to 5x4.5". If you go with ones from an 03-ish Explorer Sport Trac, then they're already 5x4.5", but the rotor height is just a hair taller, so you have to space them out from the hub in order for them to be centered in the caliper bracket.
This is what has me thinking. If the Sport Trac rotor is just a hair taller, then the WJ rotor should be centered.
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:23
NAXJA Forum User

Awesome, thanks guys.