NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 28th, 2017, 20:58
NAXJA Forum User

Question Johnny joint greaseable bolt bad idea??

I have a 1992 mj I love lifted 5 inches in front with ford 8.8 disk brake spring over in the rear and it's time for the rustys junk to go. I ordered cavfab 3 link and am getting ready to install it when I noticed the bolt for the 2 inch johnny joint (yes these are real Currie joints) that goes in the cast in mount on the diff has a whole through the middle of it with a grease/zerk fitting on the end. Something just doesn't seem right here. This being a 3 link all the weight is put on this one joint then Currie went and drilled a 1/16 inch hole through the 9/16 bolt. Worries me to say the least. Should I put a regular 9/16 grade 8 bolt in and call it a day? The jeep gets drove about 50 miles a week and wheeled moderately hard every couple months, but within reason nothing to stupid I'm pretty easy on the skinny pedal thanks to the elockers I installed.

So what's everyone's vote? Replace the bolt or leave it be?
Old August 28th, 2017, 21:08
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Johnny joint greaseable bolt bad idea??

Currie doesn't make a 9/16"bolt joint for the axle end, anyway how does the grease get from the bolt to the Uni-ball?
Old August 30th, 2017, 00:42
NAXJA Forum User

Johnny joint greaseable bolt bad idea??

I ran greaseable bolts on my XJ with no issues or complaints. It's very nice for maintenance. I bought extra of the bolts, and changed them out more often to be sure they were ok. Also, you could run a regular bolt there, then install the greaseable for maintenance time, then swap the standard bolt back in.
Old August 30th, 2017, 03:56
NAXJA Member

Johnny joint greaseable bolt bad idea??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill30705 View Post
I have a 1992 mj I love lifted 5 inches in front with ford 8.8 disk brake spring over in the rear and it's time for the rustys junk to go. I ordered cavfab 3 link and am getting ready to install it when I noticed the bolt for the 2 inch johnny joint (yes these are real Currie joints) that goes in the cast in mount on the diff has a whole through the middle of it with a grease/zerk fitting on the end. Something just doesn't seem right here. This being a 3 link all the weight is put on this one joint then Currie went and drilled a 1/16 inch hole through the 9/16 bolt. Worries me to say the least. Should I put a regular 9/16 grade 8 bolt in and call it a day? The jeep gets drove about 50 miles a week and wheeled moderately hard every couple months, but within reason nothing to stupid I'm pretty easy on the skinny pedal thanks to the elockers I installed.

So what's everyone's vote? Replace the bolt or leave it be?

Put in a regular grade 8 bolt and call it good. The only thing a greaseable bolt in a johnny joint would do is make a mess. The joint should never move or rotate around the bolt if you are using cartridge style joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just want to build something that won't break on the trail