• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear wrenches? Gear Ratchets?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, I have a set of metric gear driven wrenches which I use on occasion, but the wrench head of it sometimes is to big to fit where I need it to fit. SO I'm looking at the gear ratchets. Sears has the bigger set on sale, but I'm dissapointed to see that out of so many pieces in side only few of them (17 in one and less then 10 I think in the other) are the ones with a hole in the middle... so now I'm wondering wether it's something worth spending $$ on.
The two sets I am looking at are:
1. This one is on sale
2. Smaller set, regularly priced

I've also tried finding the website of the manufacturer to see if they have any other sets but I had no luck on that... all I got was websites of everyone who carries their tools and noone seemed to have a compete selection (each place had differet collections).... ANyone got a link to that?

At $29 bucks I'd be leery of severe knuckle damage, IOW MY knuckles on my hand, the first time I was trying ot break free any suspension bolt.... I also have a preference for 6 point sockets or wrenches, they grip better than 12pt.

RichP said:
At $29 bucks I'd be leery of severe knuckle damage, IOW MY knuckles on my hand, the first time I was trying ot break free any suspension bolt.... I also have a preference for 6 point sockets or wrenches, they grip better than 12pt.
Well they wouldn't be the "primary" set, only for those hard to get nuts that are on long shafts (adjustor for the brakes comes to mind :D)

If you have the excuses to justify it, just buy em. I mean, not often that you need to deal with nuts near a long shaft.

Glenn said:
not often that you need to deal with nuts near a long shaft.
ROTFLMAO, ok on the serious side, they look like a good idea, but I guess I want to know how are their working out for people. Some things look good in a box but once you try and put them to use... well, they turn out to be a waste of $$ (which I'm trying to avoid).

I also have a preference for 6 point sockets or wrenches, they grip better than 12pt.

Why yes they do on 6 point bolts, however this would lead one to believe that if working with 12 point bolts the 12 point ones would work better. So it really depends on what you use them for.

Have you seen the ratcheting open end wrenches? I Can't remember who makes them, I see them on the occasion I have to to the saw sharpening shop. The end is no bigger than that of a normal open end.They are WAAAAAAY COOOOOL! I'll see if I can find a link.

Bent said:
Have you seen the ratcheting open end wrenches? I Can't remember who makes them, I see them on the occasion I have to to the saw sharpening shop. The end is no bigger than that of a normal open end.They are WAAAAAAY COOOOOL! I'll see if I can find a link.
I think I know which ones you're talking abotu. THey are not really ratcheting as there is no mechanism it's just sliced open and one end has a strange angle to allow for slip/movement.

Kejtar said:
I think I know which ones you're talking abotu. THey are not really ratcheting as there is no mechanism it's just sliced open and one end has a strange angle to allow for slip/movement.
No, there is a mechanism, actually it is a pivot on about 1/3 of the open end of the wrench. They are not clipped like the Snap-On. I couldn't find any links right now, going to call tomarrow. It's starting to bug me now.

Bent said:
No, there is a mechanism, actually it is a pivot on about 1/3 of the wrench. They are not clipped like the Snop-On. I couldn't find any links right now, going to call tomarrow. It's starting to bug me now.
Hmm... now you've piqued my curiousity :D

I have the gearwrenches and love them I actually used them today to take off the bolts that hold the hub to the knuckle

May want to compare GearWrench options and other tool prices at Northern Tool ... that's an excellent price at Sears.

Northern Tool

I've bought stuff here and depending on the item have saved BIG bucks on sales tax ... you just have to be careful with heavy shipments using UPS. I purchased a Makita benchtop planer and UPS dropped it in route. Northern Tool demanded I return it for replacement due to product warranty and safety issues.

They are great to work with.

Mark Hinkley said:
Go find a Mac truck and but some real tools!

hinkley
DING DING DING We have a winner. Although, everybody knows real tools come off the Snap-On truck.

OneTonXJ said:
DING DING DING We have a winner. Although, everybody knows real tools come off the Snap-On truck.

:puke:

Actually Snap-on is fine but I had a real a$$hat driver at my last shop and hated him sooooo much it made me anti-Snap-on.

hinkley

The one thing I would say would be to buy the Craftsman branded wrenches. They may be made by the same company, but that way you have a warranty. We used a few when we were working on the Jeep and bent the whole wrench, it was not a Craftsman branded tool (not sure if it was the 'GearWrench' brand or not).

Mark Hinkley said:
:puke:

Actually Snap-on is fine but I had a real a$$hat driver at my last shop and hated him sooooo much it made me anti-Snap-on.

hinkley

I can see the snappy truck from my garage. Real bad this month. I must hate my money worse than Snap-on, or Cornwell, or Mac, or Matco, or any stupid tool truck driver I can get to pull over. :D

You guys that are tool shopping consider finding a Wright tool dealer (http://www.wrighttool.com/). They are a good middle of the road tool but worlds better than crapsman. There aren't any traveling dealers around here, they are carried in almost all of the tool stores though.

Take note next time your in Sears, less and less of their tools are truely american made. Some stuff is forged hear and then shipped off for finish work (really can't figure out how they make money doing that). Also for ratchets and things that can be rebuilt they won't replace with new. It's referbished. Harbor Freight has a better warranty than that.

Back