• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

this week just gets worse and worse

fuelfox4949

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so last night after work started my jeep and the check engine and airbag light were on. so i shut it off and pulled the key out. and it still ran for a good 5 seconds. now last night working on it the cruise control motor i believe, round canister right next to battery. was non stop grinding and clicking. i tried to pull the harness off so that it would stop but could not get it off. now this morning i wake up to a dead jeep. also last night the milage light and check engine light would still be on after i shut it off. before i went in the lights went off but the cruise motor was still grinding away. does any one have any ideas where to start. could it be bad pcm, ignition control mod, tps, cruise motor, karma. thanks in advance.

P.S i have not done anything to the elec latley, last thing i did was put in a new alternator and battery in june.

97 cherokee 4.0 4.5 lift runnin goodies mtr's.

I recently replaced the pcm on my 98. After a deep water crossing, it was fried. I diagnosed it because all of the electricals were going crazy with relays clicking, fan turning on/off without the Jeep running. The Jeep would only run for about 30 seconds before shutting itself down. Also, my cruise control motor was clicking on/off.

Cheap and easy way to test it. I actually have a computer from a 97 Cherokee, Auto, 4.0. $35 plus shipping and it's yours. Let me know b/c I have it on Ebay as well and the auction ends today.

if i put a new pcm in do i have to do anything to it, like bring it to a dealer to redo my milage or anything. never changed out a cpu before. does it need to be professianly installed

no, changing the pcm is as simple as unplugging the old one and plugging in the new one. The stealership tried telling me that part numbers had to match exactly and the new computer had to be reprogrammed, which would have cost an additional $150.

Thankfully, I listened to another member on these forums and bought one from him that didn't match part #'s. Popped it in and she fired right up! Works great!

Back