NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 17th, 2019, 16:45
NAXJA Forum User

As if things couldnít get worse

Ok guys so Iíve posted a couple different threads here pertaining to my 1991 4.0 jeep xj. My first issue was not getting spark. Found that the problem was a faulty pcm. During the process though I replaced a boat load of part. Starter, alternator, battery, spark plugs and wires, coil, distributor, and also pcm. Finally got it all started and was running fine for about 40 miles. Then noticed a check engine light came one and my battery voltage was way low. The check codes it threw were 34,41,21 and 62. I figured out the 34 code (map sensors vavcuum hose was clogged. 62 says itís not reading my odometer and the 41 is the alternator is not charging the battery but as I stated before itís brand new. So I have no idea what my problem is. The pcm is an A1 Cardone which I ordered online. I didnít have the original serial sticker number from the old one because there was no sticker on it. So I put in online the type of vehicle I had assuming it would be the correct one. Everything was working fine except now Iím getting this 41 code and the alternator is not charging. What in the holy hell is going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 17th, 2019, 17:00
NAXJA Forum Addict

Re: As if things couldnít get worse

How tight is the belt?
01 XJ Sport 2 door 5spd/4WD- 4" lift, Rubi wheels/tires JCR bumpers/sliders, armor, Rubi 44, Ford 8.8, 4.56's, ARBs.
Old February 17th, 2019, 17:10
NAXJA Forum User

If the belt and wires to the alt are good, then the pcm is bad. Alternator voltage is controlled through the pcm,

Of course the alternator could be faulty, you could have it tested, if the belts and wires are good. But if itís good and everything else is as well then the pcm is bad.

A1 used to be a better name, but they easily could have sold a faulty pcm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old February 17th, 2019, 20:06
NAXJA Forum User

Test battery. Check belt tension. Test alternator. I've seen brand new alternators give up the ghost after a few miles on them.
Old February 17th, 2019, 20:39
NAXJA Forum User

you could rig alt with an external voltage regulator early 80 dodge style
Old February 18th, 2019, 08:11
Stranger

There are kits for that: https://alternatorparts.com/external...nator-kit.html

That is just one example. The information at the bottom of the page is worth noting.

Baby it's cold outside.
Old February 18th, 2019, 10:43
NAXJA Forum User

in the kit i see the field replacement module used to trick the computer from throwing a code is this a resistor? i ordered mine from rock auto with wire harness for under 20$
Old February 18th, 2019, 10:46
NAXJA Forum User

I thought that maybe some important information of something that I have found out is that when the engine is cold the alternator seems to be working but as soon as I get up to operating temperature it throws the code 41 and the alternator stops working. I was going to try and run some test with the ohm meter to see if there might be a short in the circuit somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 19th, 2019, 14:19
NAXJA Member #920

Slightly loose connection that's opening up as things warm up and expand?
Old February 19th, 2019, 15:46
NAXJA Forum User

Just saying that the alternator is new doesn't mean that it's charging. Have you verified the battery voltage? It should read about 13.2 at idle. If it's not reading that, it could be as simple as a bad ground wire.
Old February 21st, 2019, 21:06
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by POSrenix View Post
in the kit i see the field replacement module used to trick the computer from throwing a code is this a resistor? i ordered mine from rock auto with wire harness for under 20$

Looks like it. Probably just to put a load across the lines from the computer so it doesn't think it's an open or shorted circuit. Although, I'd suggest that if it works to avoid the trouble code, then the PCM is likely to be able to control the alternator field coil by itself and you don't need an external regulator. $20 for a $2 resistor seems a bit high on the markup.

Have you measured the voltage across the field terminals when it's failing to charge? That'll tell you if the problem is the alternator or the pcm/wiring. Disconnecting the wire from the computer and putting full voltage across the field coil should also tell you if its the alternator not charging as well.