• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat towing with lockers

chesterbuggle

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to swap Detroit lockers front and rear in my XJ, along with 4.88 gears. I would like to flat tow it to Moab from Salt Lake City. 231 transfer case. Those with experience, I just put the transfer case in neutral? Pull the front driveline because of the locker? Everything I read I get ten answers...

What year? The later years you don't even have to pull the driveshaft.

you probably got tru neutral. get all 4 tires in the air, tranny in park, t-case neutral, make sure front wheels spin independent from the back. Like I said pretty sure you got it.

I have towed our 2001 XJ (NP231) almost 100,000 miles, over the past 15 years, behind a motorhome without issues. TruTrack in the rear axle, E-locker in the front.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157603323570942/

Our 1997 XJ (NP242) has been towed 25,000 miles, also without problems. well other than the D35 exploding, while being towed, but that had nothing to do with the transfer case and everything to do with the D35 being weak and badly abused. The 8.25 TruTrack that replaced it has had no problems.

Make sure your transfer case has a true neutral.

Back