• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

I feel like Eric Filar probably knows what he's talking about.

Granted, he's not an engineer, but he does have steel toed flip flops and a margarita machine, so I tend to trust him.

We'll, unfortunately for him, machine design, materials failure analysis, among others disagrees. :laugh:

But alas, you're running a D30 so it's all a gamble in the end.

I'll have my D30 all polished up here on the mild-build too...so I'm right there as well.

Yeah. The intent was to just throw in a LSD and some shafts and go camping.

But you guys know me better than that.

Yeah. The intent was to just throw in a LSD and some shafts and go camping.

But you guys know me better than that.

I won't be doing the tube sleeve, but will be doing truss, C's, etc.

I'll be running 265/75R16's...and the rig will be built more than the buggy when it was full bodied on 35's. Outside of chromos on the D30, one would be able to slap upward of 37's on without a worry. Slight...overkill :laugh:

Yeah I wasn't so sure about the sleeves myself, but they aren't much money, aren't much work, and 10/10 would get under crackers skin.

I'm not sure that adding 9.5 pounds counts as the weight of a dana 60.

Are those really only 9.5 lbs?

About the same as a gallon of water?

My internal calculator must be way off, or the DOM I have must be substantially thicker wall or larger diameter.

would've been stronger to do an external sleeve....

well considering it does nothing for the axle strength I think it is perfect for this build.

He should have put the same lastara truss on the front as is on the back.....but won't cure his desire to go down on other men to build his rig

Are those really only 9.5 lbs?

About the same as a gallon of water?

My internal calculator must be way off, or the DOM I have must be substantially thicker wall or larger diameter.

I didn't weigh them, but that's what the shipping label said. I'd have guessed about 3 times that.

Do you think turning the Cs is still doable with the coil buckets in place? I have a highly polished 30 and its the one thing I didn't do and regret it...

I'd have to look at one. Its probably doable, but it would be a lot of work to cut and clean, and weld.

You'd probably need to use a 7" grinder and cutoff wheel to get in there.

Do you think turning the Cs is still doable with the coil buckets in place? I have a highly polished 30 and its the one thing I didn't do and regret it...

5" cutoff wheel can get in there. Cal doesn't know unless he received it in his latest DNA tasting sample......He also cannot hold a 7" grinder

Well, the mopar HD radiator was a fail. Literally.

End cap of the fill neck failed running up a hill on the 215, and blew all of my coolant into the airbox. There was no shoulder to speak of where we were, so ended up driving it almost 3 miles to get to a safe place to stop. It got.. HOT.

42373993_10156785973424374_8660424604579266560_n.jpg

Today I'll see if the engine seems OK, if so order up something all aluminium to replace it. I just don't see the big Griffin fitting with the AC and such.

Who's been running the Mishimoto? $400 with a lifetime warranty seems acceptable, particularly if I buy from Amazon (who honors the manufacturers warranty).

If the engine's *not* OK, then I guess I need to go visit Russ and see how he's coming on the replacement. ;)

I ran one of the Mishimoto's in my BMW 328. They warrantied it twice for me. 1 leaked where the tank joined the fins. Don't remember what happened with the first but I think it was a fitment issue. 3rd one was fine. All in a short time period of about 4 months. 3rd was good for 3-4 years until I sold the car.

Well, with some detours to the radiator review thread, you'll discover that between then and now i've been thru 2 mishimoto radiators and an engine.

A bunch of random photos for your entertainment while I wait on stroker parts.

20181005_192721-me.jpg

20181023_145018-me.jpg

20181026_124204-me.jpg

20181026_123346-me.jpg

20181026_152533-me.jpg

20181026_135612-me.jpg

20181026_130530-me.jpg

20181027_160926-me.jpg

Back