• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

7100s lost all preload

rockclimber

Associate
NAXJA Member
So I've had my 7100s for about 6 months. Right now they have almost no preload. I can easily compress them and they do not expand quickly like they did when I got them. I'm going to call bilstein and ask them what they will do, but I'm curious if anyone has any ideas as to why this would happen.

Valving is 255/70

Hear is the mounting at full bump. The top is 90* from the bottom mount. Heims both ends.
P1080267.jpg

is it leaking from the valve?

That cap on the resivor.

ok. I'll get a guage on there and check.

I have not seen any oil, both shafts are good, no nicks. I have not seen any leaks, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

I think i mean pressure. I can compress them fully, and the time it takes the shocks to extend fully is drastically different between the two, but they are both slower than they were when new.

it kind of looks like you're using them for bumpstops..

I'm not. I took that picture while measuring for my prothanes and where to set final bump.. The bumpstops actually look like this
ge8uvygy.jpg
ubahedy5.jpg

zunapy9u.jpg

Hi, I had a set of Bilstein's on my Xj and had to change them, they lost pressure and didn’t rebound correctly, so went to my supplier and exchange them for some new ones, the second set suffered the same problem so I recharged them with about 200PSI of nitro, lasted a bit more but stared to lose the rebound, so had to change them again, but this time for some Fox 2.0 with remote reservoir, this babes work like a pro!!

bumping my old thread.

got them re-charged, one is still loosing pre-load over time.

I guess bad schrader valve.

side-question: does anyone know what the hose fitting size for the stainless steel resivor hose is? I need to make some custom length hoses... bilstein's catalog lists -5 aeroquip hose. I can't find -5 AN anywhere. -4 seems like it might be right. would like to only buy the ends once.

Thanks.

My 7100 need to be charged/ topped off twice a year, it's another maintenance item for me. I have the older generation with the blue hoses which are #6 JIC, or 3/8. The newer steel braided hoses appear smaller. An fittings and JIC have a 37deg flare, SAE are 45 deg flare.

if you're losing nitrogen and it's coming from anywhere but the cap on the end where the sherader valve is, you need to rebuild the shock. The internal floating piston needs to be at a specific distance from the bottom (or top in your case) of the reservoir body or you will hydrolock your shock.

If they're short bodies, just get some fox shocks and I'll dispose of those for you. :) Nice limit strap on the first page.

Back