• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans wont pull off in 1st unless manually shifted

Rmart30

NAXJA Forum User
stock 99 AW4. No slippage etc but when comes to a stop it will not pull off unless manually shifted into low. You can feel it try to pull but it wont until dropped down to low. Run it thru the gears manually and you can drive it anywhere. Any ideas?

Wondering what you have checked so far ? Have you used the Google and found the AW-4 Diagnostics and Service Manual that is floating around ?

Any blown fuses ? Any chafed wire insulation, damaged or broken wires ? Tested the solenoids ? The Dexron-III/Mercon is clean and fresh ? Tested the TPS ? Visually inspected the shift mechanism, Throttle Valve cable and Neutral Safety Switch ?. Checked the TV cable adjustment ? Checked that the Transmission Control Module has no corroded, bent or pushed back wire pins ?

As mentioned above: TPS, NSS(Range Selector on ('98-up), TCU, brake pedal switch and trans solenoids. Also, I had a similar issue. I replaced the solenoids, brake pedal switch, did a shift kits. No luck. On the '98 and up, there are two speed sensors. The rear one was bad on mine. I replaced that and it worked. It was not a fun job. And the screw broke off, and it went down hill from there. Those can be checked with an analog OHM meter. You have to rotate the drive shaft and see if there are pulses. The solenoids can be checked from the transmission wire plug up by the trans dip stick.

Wondering what you have checked so far ? Have you used the Google and found the AW-4 Diagnostics and Service Manual that is floating around ?

Any blown fuses ? Any chafed wire insulation, damaged or broken wires ? Tested the solenoids ? The Dexron-III/Mercon is clean and fresh ? Tested the TPS ? Visually inspected the shift mechanism, Throttle Valve cable and Neutral Safety Switch ?. Checked the TV cable adjustment ? Checked that the Transmission Control Module has no corroded, bent or pushed back wire pins ?

Have not checked anything yet. Was hoping someone had ran across it before and save some time. Im betting its not a blown fuse. I let it sit for about 6 months . its usually only used during hunting season. But when i got back in it this year and put it in drive it pulled off and shifted as normal. Came to a stop to go back to the house and it had to be shifted down to low manually like before.

Once I take off in low I can shift it straight to drive and it will shift itself thru the gears until i come to a stop or slow enough it needs to be in low again.

Have not checked anything yet. Was hoping someone had ran across it before and save some time. Im betting its not a blown fuse. I let it sit for about 6 months . its usually only used during hunting season. But when i got back in it this year and put it in drive it pulled off and shifted as normal. Came to a stop to go back to the house and it had to be shifted down to low manually like before.

Once I take off in low I can shift it straight to drive and it will shift itself thru the gears until i come to a stop or slow enough it needs to be in low again.

That would point to the #1 solenoid being bad or a wiring issue. Before making that assumption, I would test the solenoids: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/transmission-problems-88637/

"Pull the grey 7 pin connector apart (near the trans dipstick). The row of 4 pins on the female connector is where the wires to the (3) solenids reside. Put one meter lead on the ground post of your battery, and touch the other end to each of those pins. If the solenoids are good, they should show 12-18 ohms resistance. If they show more resistance, or none at all, you either have bad wiring or solenoid(s). Wt/Bk is S3, Vt/Wt is S2, and DB/Wt is S1. S1 and S2 are the shift solenoids and S3 is the lockup solenoid."

I'd say a 1.5 banana job to replace the solenoids yourself. They can be replaced without removing the trans be dropping the oil pan. Maybe a few hours, mostly waiting for it to stop dripping oil on your face. The set of 3 solenoids is around $56 on Amazon. Search for AW4 shift solenoids. Its an Japanese made tranny, so don't be surprised if you see it listed as being compatible for Toyotas. Don't both spending the $20 for a filter as it's really just a mesh screen that can be rinsed out with solvent. Go easy on tightening the pan screws as they strip fairly.

Back