• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator Woes!!

Nolaws

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1998 4x4 Sport XJ and I am in the market for a new radiator. I currently have a 3 row I had installed about 4 years ago and it is a pile of crap the has been replaced 2 times since it was installed with a "lifetime warranty". The shop that did it is now out of business (BIG SURPRISE!!) and I now need to pick up a new one. Lifetime warranty isn't much good if the shop that issued it is out of business LOL. I have gone through a lot of the threads on here about radiators and most of them are several years old.

I really like the Champion CC1193 for the 1991-2001 Cherokee but I can't find anywhere that has it in stock including Champion's website. Starting to wonder if they even make it anymore for my year. Maybe they were having a problem with that model?

I have to replace the radiator soon seeing as it is leaking again and have no idea what to replace it with. Does anyone know of a radiator that is of equal quality to the Champion one with a similar price? I know Griffon makes one but I am not spending $500+ on a radiator LOL :scared:

Any help would be most appreciated,
Robert

Mike,
That CSF seems to be widely picked on the forums. Is it an exact fit? I am better off this CSF than some custom radiatorbarn one? I heard of fitment issues with the 3 row radiatorbarn one.

I have the CSF 3-row and it was a drop in fit. Cools great. I bought it lightly used, the only issue I've had with it was the plastic petcock broke off and it started to leak from there. Maybe I overtightened it but it's pretty brittle plastic. Drilled it out and replaced it with a bolt lightly wrapped in teflon tape. Was just gonna be a temp fix but it's working fine so I left it.

Just be aware if you order the CSF 3-Row that you have the proper fittings to hook up your transmission cooling lines. i.e... that piece that fits just below your filler neck is not included and you'll need to use the one off your OE radiator (assuming you still have that piece)

The CSF 3-Core should be a drop in process.

That is the one that goes into the AW4 transmission itself.

Right... the one you'll need is the one that attaches to the radiator itself. Your OE adapter will or should work, but since you've had your radiator replaced a few times you could have trouble if the replacement radiators don't have the part you need. Not sure why CSF wouldn't include it, but they don't. :(

Right... the one you'll need is the one that attaches to the radiator itself. Your OE adapter will or should work, but since you've had your radiator replaced a few times you could have trouble if the replacement radiators don't have the part you need. Not sure why CSF wouldn't include it, but they don't. :(

I have 2 CSF radiators now and I don't recall the fittings not being on it already? But if not, I just moved the old one from the current radiator, and reused it. The problem was finding a new plastic clip!!!!!

What is this plastic clip are you talking about???
And is the missing radiator nipple listed in the parts catalog?

There's nothing worse than stopping a job dead in its tracks b/c of a missing part.
I prefer to replace anything and everything I can get my hands on during a repair.
Replace all bolts and screws if possible, etc.

Like every single project ever, it's always more complicated that everyone makes it initially seem.
Are there any other "Oh, yea, and one more thing..." parts a new radiator doesn't come with?

huorh1.jpg

Last edited:
What is this plastic clip are you talking about???
And is the missing radiator nipple listed in the parts catalog?

Are there any other "Oh, yea, and one more thing..." parts a new radiator doesn't come with?

It does not come with antifreeze-coolant or water either, LOL! Also the radiator cap is not included if it is a 91-01.

That drawing does not show the transmission fluid cooler in the radiator tank and the connections to it, so it must be the drawing for a manual transmission jeep.

Here's the only pic I could find that hopefully shows what part I'm referring too... still not sure where to get this part to fit an OE Radiator (including the CSF 3-Core all metal) ... Note the Radiator on the left is a 3-Core All-Aluminum Champion where the part circled in red is missing and swapped over to the 2-Core All-Aluminum Champion Radiator on the right... also part circled is in red.

These parts will not fit the OE nipple coming off the top part of the radiator tank...

Radiator2-2-1.jpg

These parts will not fit the OE nipple coming off the top part of the radiator tank...

I do not understand what you're trying to say here.

There are 2 additional parts the radiatior doesn't come with.
1) Tranny cooler connector. Mine is rusted solid, and it looks like a nightmare to get a socket/wrench in there. I'd like to order this part before trying this repair.
2) Some "plastic clip" (No clue what you're referring to here.)

Are both the missing parts in here? All I see is an entire cooler line (#5)
Do you need to replace the entire trans cooler line to replace the radiator?
If so, this is the first I've heard of this issue.

34yzgxl.jpg

Last edited:
I do not understand what you're trying to say here.

There are 2 additional parts the radiatior doesn't come with.
1) Tranny cooler connector
2) Some "plastic clip"

Are both the missing parts in here?
34yzgxl.jpg

I'm not sure what part #2 is you reference above... I'm referring to part #1 referenced above... Looks like Part #5 in your attached pic... "TUBE, Supply"... but in my case the 'tube' is cut and flared to fit soft lines for the transmission.

If you look at my pics showing the All-Aluminum radiators, the 'fittings' were included for these radiators so the OE parts were modified/removed... hence when I was going to replace my leaking Champion Radiator w/a CSF 3-Core... the CSF 3-Core Radiator did not come w/those connectors. (Actually the CSF 3-Core only has the TOP connector as the bottom connector is welded in to the radiator itself...) It may be a mute point if you're swapping out an OE leaking radiator for a CSF 3-Core radiator... I was just throwing out the 'just in case' situation so you don't drain all your coolant, pull the old radiator out and then find out you're missing something when trying to put in the 'new' radiator. I went thru this PAIN last weekend and was trying to make the OP aware of the possible issue.

I think I just need to disconnect #5 at the top of the radiator, and use the quick disconnect tool at the other side of it.
Then I transfer this entire #5 tube onto the new radiator, right?
I will order a spare #5 just in case it's frozen stuck onto the old radiator.

So, I am not sure what is going on with your radiator?
You seem to have a short nozzle on the new radiator.
How does this connect to the long #5 tube??

Back