• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB a WJ

Those 4.7 engines REALLY need to have had excellent service. They have small oil journals and get clogged causing rod and crank bearing issues. That $2500 rig doesn't look to be one of those having received good care.....

The DOHC chains are an issue as are head gaskets. Not many out there touting recently replaced timing chains.....

I've driven a few of those 4.7's and they are nice but I'm cautious of the reputation.

So looking through the carfax on it more in depth. The first owner religiously took it to the dealer almost every 2-3 months. Regular oil changes, blend door replaced, brakes and all that other stuff. They owned it for 4 years put on 73k. Second owner had it for 5 years still had it serviced about every 3-5k out about 40 k on it. Most current owners have had it for 6 years. Serviced again about 3-5k. Going to check it out this afternoon.

Was just peeking at CL. A few on there. Just for knowledge any certain things to look for in them? I know the 05 V8 has more HP. Timing belts I know need to be changed and if its not documented should be one of the first things done. Anything else to look for?

I prefer the 4.0 in the 4 runner. Same drivetrain they use today and it has a 2wd option instead of the awd case of the v8.

Watch for rust, the v8 and v6 both need timing done every once and a while.
I had to spend $200 on a tailgate mechanism so it would open, so check to make sure they open and close lol.

Good to know. Luckily I have some time to search so will keep poking around and hopefully find something. The rust thing is something I'm aware of and that's on anything. Hopefully they shouldn't be as bad the Tacoma's. Before I bought the MJ I looked at a Taco and I've never seen a frame turned to swiss cheese like that. I walked but the guy had someone right behind me that bought it.

Just finished up checking it out. Body overall isn't bad. No major dings or dents. The under side is decent, not terrible but not great. There is rust on the rockers and some towards the rear wheel at the bottom of the wheel well. There is also some slight bubbling on the driver side rear. Maybe an 1x2 spot. Interior is ok, needs a major deep clean, but overall seats weren't too beat up possibly replace the headliner. Mechanically fired right up, had a slight tick because it was low on oil but went away after a second. It does lose oil and smokes a little on decel so probably guessing valve stems. Coolant was pink no signs of oil of stop leak. Under the oil cap there was a caramel looking goo. From what I've heard its normal on the 4.7. It wasn't the goo literally looked like caramel got mixed in there. There is an obvious leaking noise coming from the EVAP canister. He also said something just happened with the ABS. I didn't take it for a spin, not really sure why. Think it was because I had kind of made up my mind of no. I offered the guy $1700 just to see. He said he would take it, but I'm still don't think it would be worth. It is an Overland with lower miles but they seem like some rough last few miles.

Last edited:
Yeah but I’m about twice your height and am learning I don’t fit in Toyota’s comfortably. My little civic and jeeps are more comfortable.

How do you feel about the WK? I am starting to feel cramped in the the Overland. I honestly do not remember feeling that in the S Limited, which actually had the larger SRT seats. But I do remember my buddy who is about an inch taller than me did not like it. The seat is all the way down and I can just run my hand flat between the top of my head and the headliner.

I have Always thought that the wk&wk2s I’ve owned have had a ton of interior height. The wk2 currently has huge amount of room with the seat adjusted down

I have Always thought that the wk&wk2s I’ve owned have had a ton of interior height. The wk2 currently has huge amount of room with the seat adjusted down

I sat in a WK2 a few months back and I feel like it had way more headroom than our '08. Dimensionally though it only shows a .2" difference in the WK2's favor and the WJ is .2" less than the WK, but I never felt crowded in the WJ either.

I am also 6'2"+ and you're...........not.

Last edited:
I sat in a WK2 a few months back and I feel like it had way more headroom than our '08. Dimensionally though it only shows a .2" difference in the WK2's favor and the WJ is .2" less than the WK, but I never felt crowded in the WJ either.

I am also 6'2"+ and you're...........not.

Hahahahahahaha.
The wk is kinda like the Toyota’s. Just extra stuff. Room feels fine comparatively, just crowded if that makes sense.

Would Definetly definitely like to get the 242 in there. First need to find a rig. Just found out the other day we are having another small human. So might need to wait on the WJ to upgrade the wifes car. But well see how things pan out. Also a job change that might be happening that would require a move.

Thanks!

Seriously, this will make 2 and our first is already a spitfire. If the next one is like her were screwed.

Back