• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my engine rebuilt

tnfan77

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased a 1990 cherokee limited, my first car. It has 230,000 on it and I wasnt to worries becasue of the reputation these engines have. We got to lookin and the engine block is blue. I didnt think much of it, sice my dads 79 cj's engine is blue. Anyway, I was just wondering if these engines came like this or if maybe the engine is rebuilt.
Thanks.

P.s My dads cj is rebuilt thats why we were wondering.

The engines came stock black, I just replacement mine with a rebuilt block that was bear steel. So I would guess that it has been rebuilt, I painted mine black to keep it simple. Does the person you got it from know? Or have any paper work on it. These engines will run for years without to many problems. I had 223,000 on mine. Juice

Ia actually bought it from a used car lot for a great price. The people there were stupid for more reasons than one. so I think it is rebuilt. i had a new stater and other things like that so maybe they put that in at the same time. There was some paperwork in the glovebox and the guy that had it before us has his phone number in there so I may call him. Thanks alot guys.

Look around the block for tags that are glued or riveted on. also check on the core plugs for little medallion looking "overheat indicators".
if the engine gets too hot the centers melt out. Thats how most rebuilders make sure that the engine hasn't been overheated in the event of a warranty claim.

What is a core plug?

Back