• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building My Own Roof Top Tent- Need Advice

Jester99

NAXJA Forum User
After reading the replies from my RTT thread I got to thinking...why don't I just make my own? It's just a tent on top of a vehicle, right? Plus these things are really expensive. I'm sure that I could make something for at least half the price. My question is where do I start? What do I need?

I would guess you'll want a solid, flat piece for a floor x2, probably hinged so when the tent is open the floor can be folded out for twice the space, or whatever is required to equal the floor of the tent, plus a bit extra.

a tent, not just a pop up tent, or flexible pole tent, something significant with strong poles at each corner. if your going ot build it yourself you may as well make it strong and roomy for your needs.

I'd probably make a tarp, or something to go over the whole deal when not in use, to keep weather and direct sunlight off it most of the time.

I have seen several people ask this question, and not one thread where someone has pulled it off. With the exception of MHead and his 'chuckwagon" style rooftent on his XJ.

Jester, more power to ya if you want to try and pull this off. I'd even offer up any measurements of mine if it will help. You'll need some strong wood for a base/floor, probably aluminum poles and a way to bend them, stainless hardware, canvas or other material etc. Sunbrella has been mentioned alot as a good option for material.

But i gotta say. In todays economy you could probably watch craigslist and grab a second generation Mombasa at probably what materials would cost you alone. Or even a first gen real cheap.

You might could build something really cheap and easy. A simple base with two supports at either end that pop up and and you just snap your canvas cover over it all. Kind of like a rudimentary pup tent kind of set up.

That would be lightweight and easy. Of course, it has the possibility of looking janky as hell; if you pull it off, it'd be awesome.

Edit: I drew up a turrible, turrible picture of my thought:

Last edited:
I was thinking of this as well until I ran across the double size Cot/tent set-up at Sportsmans warehouse for a cool 200 bones. I believe this would be easier to modify brackets to attached to my cage. The height from the bottom of the legs to the top of the cot is 6", so it will fit over my cage. Not a full size tent, but an easier, and quicker way to get up on top.

http://www.kamprite.com/pages/products

mac

Mac, theres a few guys using that cot setup and like it, certainly a possibility. You have the flexibility of using atop the Jeep or on the ground.

However, i'm not the cot type where i can sleep with bars running along side my body. And i roll side to side all night long, wouldnt work for me personally.

I've been doing some research on this topic also. The best idea I've come up with so far is a couple of aluminum folding atv ramps that hinge in the middle of the length instead of down the center. I found a set for $70 that are 90" long x 12" wide. When folded they are 45" long. I figured 2 of these plus a sheet of cdx or whatever and some gusseting between the ramps would make a stable floor. Also, I came to the conclusion that a small wall type tent would work better than a dome tent. This way you could perminantly fasten the tent to the floor and just climb inside to put up the poles. I think it would be tough trying to flex the poles and insert them on a dome type tent....

If I wasn't out of work right now, mine would already be in progress.

Subscribed!!!

why dont you just get a simple dome tent and try to create some sort of platform you could put in on (your roof).

Even some sort of expanded metal might work, but you would need a good foam mat to sleep on up there.

If you are running a cage you have the cage walls, and from my thoughts from before was:

(1) Running Plywood, however, these would be cut to fit ontop of the cage, and placed inside the cargo area 1st, so gear would sit ontop.

(2) If you place tent ontop of rack, not sitting inside then you would only be limited to the size of wood for support, vice the inside of the rack walls.

(3) Then you could just pick up a quick set up dome tent.

Making any .02....?

Mac

products_orig_00_large.jpg

Since this model doesn't have the need for extra supports on each end and it even folds up to a small 32"L X 30"W 6"D size you could make rails for it and sew a all weather cover for it. That is small enough to allow a roof rack on top as well.

This thread has got me thinking....

Coastie, a few guys are doing just that with those cots.

Heres a pic i borrowed of a guy who replaced the floor in an older Hannibal 1.2 RTT. This is how these style RTT's are built. Thought it would fit this thread well.

Hannibalskeleton.jpg

Looks. Just like structure from one of the newer style flip over fishing shanties...hey wait...there is a thought.......

Coastie, a few guys are doing just that with those cots.

Heres a pic i borrowed of a guy who replaced the floor in an older Hannibal 1.2 RTT. This is how these style RTT's are built. Thought it would fit this thread well.

Hannibalskeleton.jpg

I know this is bringing this thread back from the grave, but I'm wondering if you have any other info on these tents... specifically, I'd like to know more (or see a closer photo) about the hinge on this tent.

Thanks.

I know this is bringing this thread back from the grave, but I'm wondering if you have any other info on these tents... specifically, I'd like to know more (or see a closer photo) about the hinge on this tent.

Thanks.

Sorry, i dont have anymore pics of the Eezi-Awn RTT. Maybe a google search or the manufacturer site?

Back